My mixer has no pad switches so how to overcome?

Steve Thomas

So we use a Dynacord powermate live in a 5 piece band (we're looking to upgrade as we speak and there is a seperate thread on that) but unfortunately this desk does not possess any pad switches. So the issue I currently have is that the drum mics are peaking even with the gain practically at zero (just one overhead and a bass drum mic). Is there a short term (cheap) option to overcome on a couple of channels. I'm assuming some kind of DI box :) and if so do you have any recommendations...or any other means to overcome this in the short term until we upgrade?

Thanks

What you need my friend is a shure A15As adjustable mic pad, available from lmc 020 8743 4680

(in general, it's good form to explicitly point out that you work for a company that you are recommending, rather than just mention them as a source. We don't like "stealth advertising". Saying something like "available from us at lmc" would be better)

Don't know what you charge for the Shure adjustable attenuator, but the going rate appears to be around £40 for a switchable 15/20/25dB attenuator.

Or you could go to the likes of CPC and get a handful of fixed attenuators (10/15/20) for around 2 pounds each.

The other option is to look at the quality of mic/mixer/amp/speaker etc... that you're currently using, and consider the purchase of the Behringer C2, which I find to actually be a perfectly usable microphone, if a little noisy. At £40ish a pair though, they're an unbelievable steal, sound acceptable as drum overheads, and have a built in pad/low-pass filter.

Great as a backup microphone too, which is where they've come in handy for me.

Another vote for the DI100. Just have it sat by the desk and you can put pads up to -40 dB.

Simple. £20 a box, can't go wrong.

To quote H. L. Mencken, "For every complex problem there is an solution that is clear, simple, and wrong."

THIS costs £17.40 at Canford and is also available in 10 and 40dB attenuation models. However, if you're even remotely capable with a soldering iron, you could build your own for rather less than this amount.

Bob

The CPC ones I mentioned above (see here http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/level5/module.j...=cpc/518021.xml ) are perhaps not of the same build quality as Canford, but they're £2.11 each (or £1.72/£1.58 if you buy 10/25)

Yes, you can buy 10 of them for the price of 1 from Canford..

http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/farnell/standard/AV17577-40.jpg

Another vote for the DI100. Just have it sat by the desk and you can put pads up to -40 dB.

But then, as Simon said before, you'll be running an unbalanced signal all the way down your multicore (if you have one) and will probably get noise problems.

Furthermore, there is a very good chance that the mics may be condensers and a very poor chance of a DI box passing phantom power through.

Archived