The pro market

lightsource

Well, not disrespecting anyone, but found this vid absolutley stunning.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2aOccbfAqE...PL&index=18

Yes, it's Pink Floyd again, and it looks like VL2C, so 20 years on..... Why do most think LED is the be all and end alll solution?

Mostly I think it looks crap, compared to shows like this.......

So the question is, have we actually taken a step foreward with LED technology, or have we actually taken a few steps backwards............regardless of weather you like the song or not!.

Edit to add....

Media content.....well that's another subject!

that was 15 years ago, did you see how many heads are in the rig? Thats alot, an awful lot. Reserved for the very biggest of acts.

I think that is an amazing show, with amazing equipment, utilising the best from the setup (and what a setup it is!). IF that was now, LED would be just another tool for the lighting designer to use to design the show

You should really get the DVD if you want to know what that looked & sounded like. Far too blocky and washed out on a YT download. It was absolutely STUNNING. On that track, I don't think you see the 70mm film being projected onto the circular screen, WOW.

I was about a third of the way back on the racked side bits, and could feed the heat and concussion from the pyro.

Ok please first understand that Mark Brickman's work on this show was beyond top notch, I mean this is good probably some of the best - however please remember what you are viewing is through a camera. It was shot. The light levels are constantly controlled, the colours are constantly doctored, even how black the black looks is controlled. The level compared to the parcans in the audience is controlled and probably more importantly working with the levels the projection could achieve. The lights (2Cs 5s etc) on that show were not that bright, they were not that efficient, and were an unhappy nightmare to keep working.

Surely the importance is in the design, the intent, the message (and to a certain extent just sheer volume IMHO).....

I saw the Division Bell tour (which became the "Pulse" DVD) twice, once working (we provided a satellite uplink to feed the concert to the USA) and once as a paying punter and can happily say that, as good as the camera "grading" is, it was even better live. Certainly, I've not seen anything to better that show in the intervening decade and a half, despite LDs having modern "toys" to play with. Indeed, I sometimes wonder if the modern, more accessible gear had led to a tendency to just "wave things around" rather than worry about the effect the design will have.

Bob

Hi there,

Fully agree with Lightsource about the over use of LED these days, especially the modular panels. I too saw the Floyd tours in both a working capacity (OK only on the Scaff at Earls Court) and as a punter and the rig was amazing. Compare that to A band (unnamed as I don't want to upset the LD) who I saw at the MEN a couple of years back and frankly I don't think I have ever seen such an unimaginative show using almost exclusively these units.

On the technical side of things though, yes they are another tool for design, and an excellent piece of kit for building into shows where power is an issue, which, apart from the major venues it can be. What the new generation of (especially) LED washes and moving heads gives you is much more flexibility when putting together shows for the venues which aren't geared up for the power requirements of standard luminaires.

That said I do think that we are only scratching the surface of this technology at the moment; as they say, watch this space.

A legendary show.

But is it not all about the design(er)? It's easy to use any fixture badly, especially with the latest control options. LED can look stunning and unique. If that tour was happening now I would be surprised if it did not use LED and use it very well.

Is also interesting to note that this is in the days before screens showing close ups of the performers to the public, meaning that to many people the actual performers would just have been pin pricks, making the big effects much more important.

I agree one of the best light shows of all time, and I would be interested to hear if anyone can recomend a video of any show that can match the Pulse concert for lighting - choreography.

I am very lucky and privelaged to be allowed to recreate that concert here in Tenerife, obviously without the Floyd budget, and yes I have used LED for a lot of the colour changing on the arched rig.

This is my copy version of the same thing.

Enjoy.

I think since that show the tools have become more compact, more efficient, the controllers have become more computerised, but the LD work on the Pulse show can only be admired.

I saw the tour before "Pulse"; no arch, just VLs round the circular screen (which has been part of their set since the 70s) plus some flown trolley type things bristling with VLs, and that was the best thing I'd seen until the Pulse DVD.

The "dancing" light effect was apparently the result of a software glitch that caused all the VLs to reset at the same time. It looked so good that it was designed into the show.

The design and programming of the Floyd stage show is just stunning, the timing of the cues is spot on. I'll join the list that haven't seen a better light show. By contrast the recent Genesis show didn't impress me at all, but then I'm not a big fan of video screens, I can get the same effect by sitting too close to the TV.

Getting back to the OP, LEDs are still not quite there in terms of light output and colour gamut, but the Tenerife video shows that with the right programming they can look very good too. (Well done there Richard, by the way!)

Marc Brickman created a fantastic show, and gets my respect <Robert Robinson> and this round of applause </Robert Robinson>

Add me to the list of those who was at the earls court show (and wembley, Manchester, docklands arena, knebworth and erm earls court in previous years) and was impressed.One effect that really stood out at docklands was the scanners moving along a high level track and the beams combined with lasers made it look like the dam things were walking.

Agreed again!! Of course , no dis-respect to Mark whatsoever , but lets face it, an army of varilites is gonna look great regardless - but the real skill and keeping it all tidy looking is down to the programmer and making the LD's vision come to life!!

A sterling job by both involved!!! - and also the crew who had to rig all the bloody things in the first place!!

Archived