The pro market

lightsource

"The design and programming of the Floyd stage show is just stunning, the timing of the cues is spot on. I'll join the list that haven't seen a better light show...."

One things is an accurate cue during a live gig and another is video editing!!!

Spent some "leisure" (!) time Utubing on Sunday and some of the lightsplashes and changes are a little suspect and I do not think that PAR64 heat up and dim as fast as on the Pulse (?) video (not refering to the VLs etc) ... Zoom differences and camera jitter give little clues - I admit I may be wrong but with a many hours of recording time of rehearsals....

About not lighting the musicians: I disagree. Leads were visible and targetted, other parts in no/less light gives a contrast. Also while the structures were geometrical, the lighting need not always be so.

All said the bunch of shows on PF on the Utube are a source of inspiration (to copy, dare I say ) and a challenge. The custom effects: now there is where light engineering (in both sense of the words) from cottage industries shows: lighthouse type of effect and notably the seperately controlled 8 beam effects all from one moving head etc. These things stick out as unique and memorable touches.

Well I have to say that I'm VERY impressed. What I saw on the Utube clips I watched over the weekend really impressed me so that I have ordered the DVD and I look forward to watching the rest of it.

Obviously there is a LOT of toys up in the air but what was done with them is very imaginative and certainly speaks of a team who had vision and technical ability to deliver a stunning light show.

I'm sure we all "borrow" from what we see and this will certainly provide some inspiration for me.

Certainly, I've not seen anything to better that show in the intervening decade and a half, despite LDs having modern "toys" to play with. Indeed, I sometimes wonder if the modern, more accessible gear had led to a tendency to just "wave things around" rather than worry about the effect the design will have.

Bob

Which is a very interesting point, as that's mainly what I see when watching a lot of concerts.

When watching large shows (on TV) by the likes of Madonna, Kylie etc, the stage shots appear poor, because they rely on a lot of media content on large screens, which the camera just doesn't pick up - the screens are too big for the camera angles, and a close-up of any LED media looks poor at the best of times. Also, I don't like much of the content.

Give me a huge lighting rig anyday, and leave the big screens in the wearhouse........or better still, don't buy any :D

Archived