Snagging??

lite_lad

In terms of a new building?

It's the process of finding (and fixing) small but significant problems with the building before it's fully handed over.

As I understand it, it would normally be after the building has been handed over (ie in daily use by the client) but before completion (ie fully signed off and the final retainer paid). This would normally take place during the first year after handover.

Sam

In my experience, it can often go beyond the hand over period - say 1 year - as the building 'settles in' so, cracks in plasterwork, fixtures and fittings that aren't up to scratch, dodgy wiring, that sort of thing. A snagging list is usually written and a 'make good' agreement is made with the main contractor. Usually a percentage of the overall payment is held back until all is as it should be.

Edit beaten to it - again!

Thanks for the quick replies! I had found this definition on google but was more wondering what it meant in a live event situation as it has been put on a schedule for an upcoming event but I don't know what it is!

I've never encountered this phrase in a 'live' situation before - but I should imagine it would mean troubleshooting, or 'making good' so taping down, deleting trip hazards, that sort of thing. Why not ask whoever drew up the schedule.

I would use snagging in a similar way in reference to a theatre set - the process, after the main fit up is over of going around with the production carpenter or whoever and solving little problems - sticking doors, flats not quite correctly aligned etc.

So I guess in a "live event" situation it's a similar thing again.

T

In a construction context it's done many times over: those of you who sign off new builds only see the final one: it's actually done after every fix (and a lot of trades do at least 3 fixes)

So in a live situation I would assume it's time to check it all works as it should.

Thanks for the quick replies! I had found this definition on google but was more wondering what it meant in a live event situation as it has been put on a schedule for an upcoming event but I don't know what it is!

Also known as the ###### list. Those last jobs that need to be done before the job can be signed off. Could be stashing flight cases, taping cables, touching up paint etc. etc.

Tony Miller.

'Snagging' or 'doing snags', in my experience means dealing with faults/troubleshooting.

On the tour I'm currently on, we have a bit of time set aside for dealing with things on the snags list. Basically something doesn't work or needs fixing, but could be deferred till a later time rather than being dealt with then.

From what you've told us, I'd imagine this's what the 'snagging' time on your schedules for.. Just dealing with issues that have arisen during the load-in.

HTH, T

In my experience, snagging "in a live enviroment" sounds anything that crops up after a show has been handed over to the SM. The kinds of little things that don't need a rehearsal to stop, but you make a note of to come back to.

Snag list might include:

-Change spikes for a more discrete colour and size

-Tape join between flat.

-Fit door closer to SL flat.

-Remark sightlines.

Does that help?

Examples might be that a wall has been painted the wrong colour, that a socket doesn't work...

...the sound contractors swapping the earth and the + on half the clearcom sockets...(in seriousness, yes).

And just to add something useful to this post, in the states you'd call it a 'punchlist'.

Archived