Euro Condom

Paul_R

A search seems to reveal this has not yet been posted, which I am suprised at, or is it just my sense of humour...

Come September, the EU will phase out energy inefficient frosted light bulbs.

German lighting designer Ingo Maurer launched Euro Condom, a protest against new European guidelines banning frosted incandescent bulbs..

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s23/preeves_album/BR/eurocondom_sq.jpg

The Euro Condom consists of a thin, heat-resistant silicone cover that turns a clear bulb into a frosted one. Frosted bulbs will be banned by the new EU guideline on light sources beginning September 2009, because they are said give off less light than clear bulbs.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s23/preeves_album/BR/eurocondom_2.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s23/preeves_album/BR/euro_condom_ingo.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s23/preeves_album/BR/eurocondom_3.jpg

An internet search engine will reveal this is a genuine product...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My understanding was, (and this is based on my current day job of working in a Lighting retail shop, I.e household lights) is that a frosted bulb is around 3-4% less bright than a clear... there's not much in it, IMO...

What an odd product though.

My understanding was, (and this is based on my current day job of working in a Lighting retail shop, I.e household lights) is that a frosted bulb is around 3-4% less bright than a clear... there's not much in it, IMO...

What an odd product though.

Odd, but thoroughly awesome at the same time.

It does seem a little stupid that (if you're correct and they are only 3-4% less bright) they would ban something like frosted bulbs. Surely there are 20 other ways of making lighting more efficient like mandating decent reflectors on light fittings or banning dark paint on internal walls. Not that I'm suggesting legally enforcing either, it just seems like the powers that be have picked an easy and relatively inconsequential uncontroversial thing to ban and decided that it's going to make a big difference to the world.

Isn't the main purpose of a frosted light bulb being overlooked here: it's frosted to give a softer light output. Now all that's going to happen is we'll have a sharper output with some nice nasty shadows appearing all over the place.

Pearl lamps are indeed only slightly less eficient than clear ones, the loss varies with design but is typicly a few percent.

Pearl lamps have not been banned because of the very slightly lower efficiency, they have been banned because CFLs are a suitable replacement for most applications.

An opal or pearl lamp is a relativly large diffuse light source and often be replaced with a CFL.

A clear lamp approximates to a point source, and a CFL is less suitable if sharp shadows or a sparkling effect is desired.

Most lamps for domestic use are purchased from supermarkets, by housewives as part of the weekly grocery shopping.

Ladies generaly hate clear lamps, considering them to be harsh, and therefore almost allways purchase soft white/opal/pearl. If the choice is between a CFL and a clear incandescent lamp, then most purchasers will hopefully chose the CFL.

Clear lamps are also to be banned, but not just yet. One wattage a year is being withdrawn starting with the larger ones.

With todays concerns regarding fossil fuel depletion and climate change, I find it sad that so many people are working to evade efforts at reducing fuel use.

I agree with Adam's closing comment with a big BUT!

What about the mercury issue? Most people will continue to dispose of CFL's in their everyday rubbish. As these break, the mercury will leach and eventually end up in our water supply. Are we solving one environmental problem only to create another in 20 - 100 years time?

All councils need to be mandated to collect all FL's from peoples homes in a safe way for proper disposal and mercury recycling.

Do you know how much mercury is in the average CFL? Answers on the back of a postcard please...

on average, less than 1mg

That's waaaaaaay less than in a filling...I don't disagree that more needs to be done regarding collection and proper disposal tho

Are incandescent lamps really being banned as such in the UK? Over here (Australia), it's just a matter of lamps having to have a specified minimum "Lumens per Watt" efficiency as far as I know.

I believe that the regulations are similar here, they dont say in so many words "incandescent lamps are banned" but they do specify a certain efficiency in lumens per watt.

The specified efficiency however can not be achieved by standard incandescent lamps.

The regulations do not state how the required effeciency is to be achieved, that is up to the manufactuerer.

Although CFLs are the obvious answer, LEDs are also available, and low power discharge lamps with integrated controll gear are under development.

some types of halogen lamp meet the requirements, and several suppliers have GLS "look alikes" that contain a small halogen lamp inside an outer envelope.

These use less energy than the lamps they replace, but still more than a CFL which should be the first choice whenever suitable.

Halogen candles/ GLS replacements are good for where you need that "point source" such as for a chandelair, typically consuming 40w for a light o/p of 60w, as opposed to a CFL which would consume around 11w for a light o/p of 60w.

Are incandescent lamps really being banned as such in the UK? Over here (Australia), it's just a matter of lamps having to have a specified minimum "Lumens per Watt" efficiency as far as I know.

As of 1 February 2009 incandescent lamps are a prohibited import in Australia....

Linky

I don't think they'll have 'incandescent' sniffer dogs anytime soon though :huh:

So if you really like them, start stacking up from your local wholesaler.

Archived