Function 1 back at Glasto?

Chris Adam

I received an email from a colleague who is working on the main stage pa and that confirms it is Martin on again. I'll be going to meet him for a cup of tea while I'm there if I manage to get off my stage.

I didn't get time for a cup of tea on the stage I was working let alone going to someone elses stage. It's alright for some isn't it. How are the chairs holding up :bleh:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Something I don't quite understand at these big festivals is why such loud monitoring is needed? Monitors are just there to try and help the musicians perform over all the 'noise' you get back from the venue/spill from the FOH speakers, but when playing outdoors, there's little to no reflected sound from the venue (a field), so why do most festivals seem to have such massive monitoring systems?

<br />Just spotted in PSNE that Audio Plus have their F1 res5s back at Glasto this year on the main stage. Really good to see them get a second chance if this is true as they seemed to get the worst of the press last time.<br />Will be interesting to see the outcome this time round.<br />

Sorry, but that's absolute nonsense.

The main stage loudspeaker system will be much the same as last year. I believe it's being supplied via the Synco Group. RG Jones will be the contractors (again) and Mr Steve Carr the crew chief.

Why are internet message boards so full of ill-informed speculation and rumour?

<br />Just spotted in PSNE that Audio Plus have their F1 res5s back at Glasto this year on the main stage.

Sorry, but that's absolute nonsense.

Why are internet message boards so full of ill-informed speculation and rumour?

To be fair to QMU, the listing in PSNE magazine does seem to state fairly clearly that Audio Plus are supplying F1 to the main stage. (The info is hidden in quite small print on page 28 of the magazine) It seems sensible enough to have started a thread relying on that info. Perhaps the question should be "Why are industry trade rags so full of ill-informed speculation and rumour?" :P

However, to be fair to the magazine, the page in question is made up of information submitted by the companies themselves, and PSNE specifically disclaim any responsibility for it. Perhaps the was some misunderstanding with the submission, or maybe Audio Plus got bumped from the gig at the last minute. Hopefully they will have held onto the Ultimate Fighting tour, although I doubt there will be many threads on the Blue Room arguing about it. :bleh:

Something I don't quite understand at these big festivals is why such loud monitoring is needed? Monitors are just there to try and help the musicians perform over all the 'noise' you get back from the venue/spill from the FOH speakers, but when playing outdoors, there's little to no reflected sound from the venue (a field), so why do most festivals seem to have such massive monitoring systems?

Try performing on a large stage and then you will understand why!

In small / indoor venues the monitoring is helped in a way by all the reflections you get off walls etc but on an outdoor stage if I’m stage left (where I like to be) I don’t stand much of a chance of hearing the guitarist amp 20m away on stage right.

Having said that when we play we don’t need much more than vocals back and maybe a bit of kick on big stages as we know each other really well. But I would not berate any artist that wanted lots in their monitor it is what ever makes them happy.

Moderation: Personal chat removed. Please use the PM system instead. Thanks.

I thought that the F1 rig sounded excellent. I also thought that last year's Martin rig sounded good. But that's not the point. I would be very surprised if Tony Andrews would want his system back on site after Eavis made disparaging and uninformed remarks about it on live TV. The sound on Pyramid stage is not really about sound - its about control and being able to guarantee a certain spl in certain areas of the site. Its all politics I'm afraid. Luckily Jazz World stage does not have the same kind of restrictions.

I thought that the F1 rig sounded excellent. I also thought that last year's Martin rig sounded good. But that's not the point. I would be very surprised if Tony Andrews would want his system back on site after Eavis made disparaging and uninformed remarks about it on live TV. The sound on Pyramid stage is not really about sound - its about control and being able to guarantee a certain spl in certain areas of the site. Its all politics I'm afraid. Luckily Jazz World stage does not have the same kind of restrictions.

Umm, I'm sorry but I would have to disagree with your last comment.

As per the Pyramid and Other stages and any other stage tbh, Jazz World is still under strict control. If we didn't have any restrictions then all hell would break loose. The site as a whole has an overall level to maintain and everyone has to do what they can to help this.

This is achieved on Jazz World by a number of factors, Trim Height of the PA, Negative Angle of the PA, Orientation of the stage and the control of the house engineers over visiting BE's.

My 2p's worth.

Speaking of SPL levels, I'm teching the Isle of Wight festival this year, and I have to say the main stage is very very quiet in comparison to previous years.

The Prodigy were on Friday and although I'm sure they had 130dB+ on the stage monitors the FOH was probably no more than 118dB. In comparison the Big Top was louder, which strikes me as rather odd. Also I have to say concidering its a D&B rig it seems to be lacking the tightness and depth normally found in a rig of that callibre, it's a very flat and gutless sound this year.

To be fair to QMU, the listing in PSNE magazine does seem to state fairly clearly that Audio Plus are supplying F1 to the main stage. (The info is hidden in quite small print on page 28 of the magazine) It seems sensible enough to have started a thread relying on that info. Perhaps the question should be "Why are industry trade rags so full of ill-informed speculation and rumour?" :wall:

However, to be fair to the magazine, the page in question is made up of information submitted by the companies themselves, and PSNE specifically disclaim any responsibility for it. Perhaps the was some misunderstanding with the submission, or maybe Audio Plus got bumped from the gig at the last minute. Hopefully they will have held onto the Ultimate Fighting tour, although I doubt there will be many threads on the Blue Room arguing about it. :P

I think there was a bit of a balls-up with the listings. Our entry in the same issue was for shows we did last year with no mention of what was submitted this month. It looks like that may have happened for more than one company.

Archived