Function 1 back at Glasto?

Chris Adam

Umm, I'm sorry but I would have to disagree with your last comment.

As per the Pyramid and Other stages and any other stage tbh, Jazz World is still under strict control. If we didn't have any restrictions then all hell would break loose. The site as a whole has an overall level to maintain and everyone has to do what they can to help this.

This is achieved on Jazz World by a number of factors, Trim Height of the PA, Negative Angle of the PA, Orientation of the stage and the control of the house engineers over visiting BE's.

My 2p's worth.

Yeah I do remember Rob (was it last year?) telling us about the restrictions...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Speaking of SPL levels, I'm teching the Isle of Wight festival this year, and I have to say the main stage is very very quiet in comparison to previous years.

The Prodigy were on Friday and although I'm sure they had 130dB+ on the stage monitors the FOH was probably no more than 118dB. In comparison the Big Top was louder, which strikes me as rather odd. Also I have to say concidering its a D&B rig it seems to be lacking the tightness and depth normally found in a rig of that callibre, it's a very flat and gutless sound this year.

Chaz,

Who were you working for on the isle of Wight fezzie? I don't recall seeing you on stage amid the audio tech crew, or lighting fellas? 130db on stage would be preposterous, I know it was big boys wedges and a decent key fill, but it was comfortable on stage without my peltors on.

Also, with regard to foh noise levels, it was louder than last year, as restriction was eased as pattern control had been tweaked. Did you actually hear the rig while the prodigy were on?

Sorry for this to be a little public, but it sounded as if you were knocking a great sounding system and the unbelievably good work by the wigwam boys. Nice one chaps, I had a great time there.

Jon

Speaking of SPL levels, I'm teching the Isle of Wight festival this year, and I have to say the main stage is very very quiet in comparison to previous years.

The Prodigy were on Friday and although I'm sure they had 130dB+ on the stage monitors the FOH was probably no more than 118dB. In comparison the Big Top was louder, which strikes me as rather odd. Also I have to say concidering its a D&B rig it seems to be lacking the tightness and depth normally found in a rig of that callibre, it's a very flat and gutless sound this year.

Chaz,

Who were you working for on the isle of Wight fezzie? I don't recall seeing you on stage amid the audio tech crew, or lighting fellas? 130db on stage would be preposterous, I know it was big boys wedges and a decent key fill, but it was comfortable on stage without my peltors on.

Also, with regard to foh noise levels, it was louder than last year, as restriction was eased as pattern control had been tweaked. Did you actually hear the rig while the prodigy were on?

Sorry for this to be a little public, but it sounded as if you were knocking a great sounding system and the unbelievably good work by the wigwam boys. Nice one chaps, I had a great time there.

Jon

I wasnt main stage crew, I was doing bits and pieces in the big top and for a few of the other smaller stages around the place. I just had some time to myself when the Prodigy were on and went and sat in the VIP section as well as having a wonder round the arena.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't as loud as it was last year, at least it didn't sound it to me. Maybe I'm going deaf or something?! I just know from previous expirience that the Prodigy demand very loud stage levels usually, so 130dB onstage for them is pretty normal.

Granted there was a lot of sub 'rumble' there, maybe it was just the Prodigy underperforming as Pendulum did sound better to me. But as I said, maybe I'm just going deaf. Some of the other guys I was doing stuff with also noted that it didn't seem as loud as previous Prodigy performances.

Adding my 2p worth,

I heard lots of complaints about the F1 system in 07 but didn't get to hear it myself. I've mixed on f1 in other venue and found it very satisfactory for dance music, not as amazing for live bands but still pretty good.

It would be nice to think it'll get a second chance this year, but having said that, the 'if it ain't broke' mantra seems to be the way forwards.

Archived