Sound Proofing Marquees

Nick LX

I worked on a few events in marquees last summer and I also wondered at the time whether there was much that would help sound proofing in marquees. Apart from the carpets that were laid on the floors and the star cloths draped from the ceiling I don't think you can do much more apart from fill it with people and hope they stop some of the noise.

You could use some of the material used to make the curtains used in hospital dramas such as Casualty. These appear, most of the time, to be 100% sound proof! :P

If you can't get that, then you want thick & heavy. Neither is easy with a marquee. :rolleyes:

Not a chance!

A marquee full of people will be making their own noise and could easily get to 90dB just talking quietly?!? Add some staff and some music and you are well into anti-social really disturb the neighbours levels. Even if you add 100% starcloth cover for visual and minor acoustic effect there is NO effective way of stoping the sound getting out.

Great product! But if it's warm enough for partying in a marquee, or if you have outside toilets, or catering or entertainment or security staff then the "doors" will be open most of the night. It takes a lot of planning to stop the sound coming out of an open door.

Not a chance!

A marquee full of people will be making their own noise and could easily get to 90dB just talking quietly?!? Add some staff and some music and you are well into anti-social really disturb the neighbours levels. Even if you add 100% starcloth cover for visual and minor acoustic effect there is NO effective way of stoping the sound getting out.

Point taken :rolleyes: . Just trying to tell the OP that there wasn't much hope. Out off interest don't you have to have permission for marquees etc? At what stage are the old bill complaining about anti-social behaviour, or does that depend on the location? I've done general crewing in marquees but know little about the rules & regs etc.

Alright I'll consider all these suggestions. I hope that I can sort something out!

Just thinking in terms of toilets, a small marquee walkway could lead to them. I'll have to look into what can be done.

Alright I'll consider all these suggestions. I hope that I can sort something out!

Last time I looked no-one hired out the system I linked to and to buy it worked out at about £100 a square metre! I can't remember what dollar exchange rate that was based on though.

<br />Is it possible, or have you seen/heard of any ways to reduce noise being carried out of the marquee?<br /><br />thanks!<br />

No. You need to read up on basic acoustics.

The only thing that will stop sound is mass. So unless you build the marquee (including its roof) out of concrete blocks or similar, you don't stand a chance. Then it wouldn't be a marquee, would it?

Acoustic absorption inside the marquee, from people, sound absorbers, etc, will change the internal acoustics. It will have no effect on the (lack of) isolation provided by the marquee walls.

Ooh Stan - you're being a bit tough with the physics. Mass is the key, of course, but the mass does not have to be concrete, does it! People, being masses of mainly fluid do have mass. They change the acoustics by removing energy from the sound. This explains why bass travels and HF doesn't - energy again.

You can't simplify acoustics to just absorption requires mass, mass must be concrete. We're looking for enough mass to be able to reduce the bottom end, and of course, you're right in terms that drapes and lightweigh treatment won't be much good. Earth banks work quite well as barriers, haybales don't - but the practicalities of such a lightweight structure as a marquee, mean it's not going to happen.

The only thing that will stop sound is mass.

Close, but not quite... In fact resonance and coincidence effects mean that the mass law does not hold for all situations (and strictly speaking applies to limp non rigid partitions, not solid concrete).

Furthermore, it is quite possible for a partition to have mass but to pass sound via flanking transmission. Most isolation techniques use a comination of mass, absorption and vibration isolation.

In the case of the marquee, the tent material acts as a membrane absorber (mainly acting on lower frequencies). It's likely that much of this will be heard on the outside, although it does tend to reflect mid and HF. A tent liner or drapes will help reduce some of the unpleasant reflections on the inside.

The main issue is that most sound leakage will come from direct air paths, and unless these can be plugged, altering the tent material or putting on some absorbtion won't have too much effect.

There is benefit from making the sound source directional and pointing it away from noise sensitive properties.

If the event is a one off, isn't stupidly loud and finishes at a reasonable time (or quietens down) then any noise complaints may well be minimised or avoided. Inviting neighbours can go some way to alleviating problems.

However, I'd suggest that trying to achieve any form of true sound proofing is a hugely expensive and largely futile task.

Simon

Not sure how it's done in the rest of the world but some of the local festivals use stacked up sea containers to help reduce sound transmission between the different stages/marquees etc. Maybe a little OTT for your application though.

...some of the local festivals use stacked up sea containers to help reduce sound transmission between the different stages/marquees ....

This is effectively a portable "bund" although the small gaps will reduce its effectiveness, and the metal panels may reradiate some sound. It is a sensible temporary method of stopping noise from one tent interfering with another. Before the use of cardioid sub arrays etc., I have come across festivals using Eve Trackway behind the main stage to reduce the amount of rear radiated noise.

In terms of "soundproofing" a tent though, we would have to assume something approaching an omnidirectional source, therefore a significant level of noise will be transmitted through the roof of the structure. The containers need to be stacked pretty high, to reduce environmental impact.

In the OP's case, I suspect that the question is related to a private function at his parent's house. If he was physically and financially able to implement every suggestion made here, there'd be multiple container sized generators, half of Showsec's crowd management crew and enough PA & lights to handle Pink Floyd ;-)

Simon

The problem is a we have had one previous 18th birthday party in a marquee (In 2007) and the sound spill was awful. Especially the bass. It somehow sounds 10x louder outside than inside.

Does anyone know about this company: http://www.periperi.co.uk/event_management...ees/marquee.php (it mentions on the page "sound proofing")

I am going to inquire and see how they do it and what type of cost it will incur.

Archived