• £2500 to £2750
    • £2750 to £3000
    • £3000 to £3250
    • £3250 to £3500
    • £3500 to £3750
    • £3750 to £4000
    • £4000 to £5000
    • Greater than £5000

I was wondering in the present Climate how much you would charge for a lighting rig to cover the the following.

Please do not over analyse the Kit List and assume every nut and bolt, but here is roughly the specification.

Allow for your normal business overheads

I am not try to work out how much I would charge but am fascinated as to range of pricing.

I am seeing many different extremes on the last few Jobs.

1 Day to Set up

2 day running festival - each day, show from about 17.00 to 23.00

1 day to take down

Provide all crew for set up and take down as well as programme and run the show for 2 days

Include transport to and from local venue. ( 50 miles )

1 Control; Console ( model not specified) No visiting LD's

48 Par Cans

8* 575 type heads ( eg Robe 575xt)

Audience Blinders

48 Channels of Dimming

DMX splitters

Hazer

All 3 Phase from Venue supplied ( less than 30 metres) power

All Mult-icore and DMX cabling

NO truss or Winchs required.

Alot depends on where you are based.

Would be more costly I imagine for being 50miles from london vs. 50miles from Perth.

I was wondering in the present Climate how much you would charge for a lighting rig to cover the the following.

Please do not over analyse the Kit List and assume every nut and bolt, but here is roughly the specification.

Allow for your normal business overheads

I am not try to work out how much I would charge but am fascinated as to range of pricing.

I am seeing many different extremes on the last few Jobs.

1 Day to Set up

2 day running festival - each day, show from about 17.00 to 23.00

1 day to take down

Provide all crew for set up and take down as well as programme and run the show for 2 days

Include transport to and from local venue. ( 50 miles )

1 Control; Console ( model not specified) No visiting LD's

48 Par Cans

8* 575 type heads ( eg Robe 575xt)

Audience Blinders

48 Channels of Dimming

DMX splitters

Hazer

All 3 Phase from Venue supplied ( less than 30 metres) power

All Mult-icore and DMX cabling

NO truss or Winchs required.

Alot depends on where you are based.

Would be more costly I imagine for being 50miles from london vs. 50miles from Perth.

FAir Point : Thank you

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Interesting Spread

Please Keep Voting, not quite Britain's Got Talent but the More the better

It does strike me that the premise that all these figures are based on is flawed. The kit list is non-specific, the status of the event is undefined and the combination merely makes any real usefulness impossible. We have somebody who thinks less than £500 is about right, while at the moment, 7 people think more than £5000! The reality is both could well be correct - as all those in between are. A price without a proper spec is pie in the sky/fag packet stuff. £500 wouldn't pay for one person if they are working at arena rates - in fact you're talking about a weeks work, but make the one person 10, and you're into the plus 5K territory before equipment is considered.

Can I ask what the point of the question is? - mainly because it's not a very good one as so much is missing.

I have to agree with Paul and this is pretty much what confused me when I saw the poll. The equipment list might not be so much of an issue, but the staffing most definitely is, esp. when it must include their transport and accommodation. All crew for load-in/out? Wouldn't promoter normally provide local crew for everything non-technical?

Without being precise about crew there could be a large range for quotes without knowing how it was broken down.

As a client I would expect two crew (inc. op) for a max of three days with load-out immediately after the show given it's quite a simple rig.

My Vote was based on the fact it was a festival type rig. So two guys load it in day 1, run the show day 2 and day 3 load out end of Day three. Client to provide 4 local crew for the get out, which assuming it's a festival, could be shared with PA etc. If I was to add the crew to my vote price, then there'd be a extra amount for that obviously.

My Vote was based on the fact it was a festival type rig. So two guys load it in day 1, run the show day 2 and day 3 load out end of Day three. Client to provide 4 local crew for the get out, which assuming it's a festival, could be shared with PA etc. If I was to add the crew to my vote price, then there'd be a extra amount for that obviously.

Thanks for the comment from Paul etc . Pete very much had the assumutions in the way I put the question.

Yes I could have put a lot more detail.

The Back ground to the Poll was to get a Generic feel to pricing in the present Climate as I am starting to see what I can only see as Silly Bottom end ( desperate pricing) I may have also put too many choices ( hindsight)

What I was Intreguided to see, was what bottom end may exist, to pricing a fairly small rig and the voting tends to show that at £1500 to £2000 area. My interpretaion and I know not accuurate with out lots more work. Which was why I thought a Quick snap shot poll might be intersting. I have now seen two jobs at £500 on a similar spec with the whole thing done by one person!! I feel these sort of operations link to all the other threads about Running a Business with Overheads, insurances maintance etc

This was a simple snap shot ( do not wnat to bore you with detail, having done MBa with Disertation in Tendering methodolgies) I can bore on pricing if need be.

My thanks to every one who has responded and if you still want to Vote Please feel free as the more the merrier

And of course, it depends on which country you are located in. I looked at the hire prices for Mac 250 on 10outof10:s website, and I must say, you guys are lucky who can hire stuffs so cheap. I pay more PER DAY the you guys have to pay FOR A WEEK. You lucky bastards

Looks like we should open a Sweden branch.....

I have now seen two jobs at £500 on a similar spec with the whole thing done by one person!!

:rolleyes: :P :blink: Three days work for one man which works out to be less than we'd pay a decent lampy for a days work. That's shockingly cheap. Hideously cheap. Destroying the industry-ly cheap. Perhaps we should all just sell up and work in McDonalds rather than trying to actually run businesses and do it properly.

I've been asked to reduce a job with an invoice price of a couple of grand to £250, because another offer had been received. I said no. It then turned out that two teenagers who run a karaoke disco had offered to do the job for the same price they charge for a nights disco - because theatre sound isn't any different. While the client was deliberating - they contacted me to ask how much I'd charge to let them use my system, as they'd been to the venue and discovered it was a bit more difficult than they thought. I said yes, and quoted the same price to them. Now I have the job again at the agreed price.

It sure is a crazy world!

Looks like we should open a Sweden branch.....

I have now seen two jobs at £500 on a similar spec with the whole thing done by one person!!

:rolleyes: :P :blink: Three days work for one man which works out to be less than we'd pay a decent lampy for a days work. That's shockingly cheap. Hideously cheap. Destroying the industry-ly cheap. Perhaps we should all just sell up and work in McDonalds rather than trying to actually run businesses and do it properly.

I was about to say that I'd put serious money on those quoting that figure being teenage wannabes, but then saw Paul's next post which basically says the same thing!

This is perhaps a wake-up call to all those teens who think they're in business for themselves - don't undercut the professionals as they ARE trying to make their living out of the business, NOT just playing at it from their parents' garage or their own bedroom!

I actually had a look at how much it would cost to hire that kit and it would cost more than that from me for a week, let alone a major hire company.

I put an amount in based on 4 crew on the in and out, being paid £200/day each. Then a LD/Desk OP for the 2 show days being paid £280/day.

£2130 even before any kit or Transport.

I know I am not a professional and I wouldn't get contacted to do a show of this size but I also don't like to undercut competition in order to make a few pounds. I am not a business and don't have business overheads but I won't do a job for 50p because I know it will take money from companies with business overheads.

Josh

I know this is not really on the same level but, I did get a text today asking if I was able to work tonight. I couldn't but anyway....

The job was driving from Dundee to Fraserburgh (107 Miles), leaving about this afternoon, taking equipment, OP'ing a show at night, and not getting back till about 2am/3am and it was a cost of £1000 for that alone.

So essentially transport to venue (107 miles), OP'ing a show for a few hours as well as setting up and dismantling equipment was around £1000.

Is that a lot for the services provided?

Sorry for going off-topic but I generally agree with comments from Josh, Paul etc.

Archived