Vocal mic for Drummer

ian hatch

Hi Everyone

The drummer in a band I do work for wants a new vocal mic.

His main problem with using his Beta 58 is that it never looks or sits very good on the mic stand due to the fact of it being at 90 degrees.

The only option I could think of, was a Beta 56 drum/percussion mic.

So my question is, has anyone used one in this kind of format (good/bad?) or is there a better option?

Cheers

Ian

Never tried the Beta 56 so can't comment on that but, for a simpler fix, before buying a new mic you might just try a right-angle XLR connector on that cable. The couple of inches this cuts off the total length can make a big difference.

Bob

I have a band I regularly work for that has a singing drummer and after much trial and error we have settled on a sennheiser E845 on a tall boom stand with (and here is the important part) a goose neck that is about 12” long. Generally he has it coming over his left side from slightly behind. His monitor then sits nicely in the null and so does the rest of his kit.

YMMV

<snip>His main problem with using his Beta 58 is that it never looks or sits very good on the mic stand due to the fact of it being at 90 degrees.

So my question is, has anyone used one in this kind of format (good/bad?) or is there a better option?

Cheers

Ian

I had this problem with a drummer in a function band who use us regularly, and the TWO satisfactory solutions are

1) Sennheiser headset mic (other headsets are available.)

2) K+M mic stand for the Beta 58.

The good mic stand is solid and stable even with the boom fully extended. He pushes it to swivel the boom out the way when he has no vocals, and swings it back in when he wants it again. This is his preferred option.

He uses the G2 when due to the venue/event/set list(?) he wants the option to leave his drum kit.

In what way does the Beta 58 neither look nor sit very well? Is it worth trying a better mic stand?

Owen R

I have used a Beta 56 in this situation with perfectly acceptable results, and seen it used on higher production quality events as well, so I couldn't say that there was a problem with running it this way. However, the right angled cable suggestion above does seem a very sensible one, and would probably be a route I would investigate first in your position to avoid the extra purchase costs of a '56.

Beta 56 is a very popular choice for this amongst Shure Vocal Mic Users. Seen many top level bands using them and it seems to work well for them. I've never had a chance to try it myself, but generally think that drummers shouldn't sing but thats going OT....

I had this problem with a drummer in a function band who use us regularly, and the TWO satisfactory solutions are

One thing I found with a headset is the drummer breathing heavily when not singing.

I am a Percussionist/drummer and sing as well. I use a Shure Uni-sphere (not a new mic at all) but it works for me. You can make things look good, but you buy an unsuitable mic and you won't be able to make it sound good.

EDIT: Bad spelling

Possibly not, I've never used one. Thta's all I'm saying is don't buy something because you like the look of it, if its a microphone, first and foremost it has to be compatable with the original source sound.

How is it an unsuitable mic. * It's a Beta57 in a different shaped case. The Beta57 are great for vocals, but it does require a vocalist that doesn't wander side to side too much, this doesn't happen with a drummer.

If you want a run of the mill Shure mic for a drummer to sing into then the Beta56 is the one IMO. There are better mics out there, but they cause the problems that the beta58 do, the better ones cost alot of money.

I'd look no further than the beta56. Especially if you're currently using a Beta58. You're going to get the same type of sound. If you're happy with this, look no further.

Bit of advice, the drummers mouth will be a bit closer so you may find the same settings a little too hot. But that's nothing serious.

*I didn't initially think that Trunker was saying it was an unsuitable mic, but the next response seems to think he might have been but couldn't clarify as he's not used one.

<snip>His main problem with using his Beta 58 is that it never looks or sits very good on the mic stand due to the fact of it being at 90 degrees.

Cheers

Ian

2) K+M mic stand for the Beta 58.

The good mic stand is solid and stable even with the boom fully extended. He pushes it to swivel the boom out the way when he has no vocals, and swings it back in when he wants it again. This is his preferred option.

He uses the G2 when due to the venue/event/set list(?) he wants the option to leave his drum kit.

In what way does the Beta 58 neither look nor sit very well? Is it worth trying a better mic stand?

Owen R

Cheers for the reply.

I think it's more of a looks thing more than anything else.

as suggested the right angle XLR might improve things also a more stable stand as you suggested.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

How is it an unsuitable mic. * It's a Beta57 in a different shaped case. The Beta57 are great for vocals, but it does require a vocalist that doesn't wander side to side too much, this doesn't happen with a drummer.

If you want a run of the mill Shure mic for a drummer to sing into then the Beta56 is the one IMO. There are better mics out there, but they cause the problems that the beta58 do, the better ones cost alot of money.

I'd look no further than the beta56. Especially if you're currently using a Beta58. You're going to get the same type of sound. If you're happy with this, look no further.

Bit of advice, the drummers mouth will be a bit closer so you may find the same settings a little too hot. But that's nothing serious.

*I didn't initially think that Trunker was saying it was an unsuitable mic, but the next response seems to think he might have been but couldn't clarify as he's not used one.

Thanks Rob for the reply.

I didn't realise that the 56 was an exact 57 but different shape.

I didn't mean for it to come across like this at all. I was speaking generically on this. I know some so called engineers who buy things 'because they look good', but haven't a clue when buying things what they sound like or what they do/what they are best for. The Beta 56 will undoubtably do the job for you, although there may be another mic that may suit your voice slightly better, but might not look as good for what you want, who knows?

Agreed, there are many mics that are generally BETTER than the Beta range. However, one would expect the 56 to be fine as he's currently using the Beta58. Had he not been happy with it from a sound point of view also, the OP would have probably said so.

Archived