Gobos

the kid

Right ive look all over the site but cant find a topic on, how to make a gobo.

The genneral question ive got is what thickness metal is not good to use because it'll melt and what is just really to much. We have all the tools at school for cutting so that is not a problem.

Any ideas?

Their for a cantata 11/26

Oh and prefialy be for 5 today or saturday. I forgot to order some and I cant go in to oxford and we have no money for some ;) dam school

The traditional metal to use for hand-tooled gobos is old litho plates from your local printer. I have also seen gobos made from cut and beaten tin cans, and even a relatively thin and flexible foil - not sure what it was, but it was thicker than tinfoil, thinner than litho plate.

The traditional metal to use for hand-tooled gobos is old litho plates from your local printer. I have also seen gobos made from cut and beaten tin cans, and even a relatively thin and flexible foil - not sure what it was, but it was thicker than tinfoil, thinner than litho plate.

'Turkey' foil is usually a thicker grade than ordinary kitchen foil, however unless it's only going to be on for a few seconds I suspect a Cantata will frazzle it.

If you've got access to the proper machine tools then any thin aluminium, steel or brass sheet will do, but it may take you a long time unless it's a simple design you need to cut out.

shane

I recently managed to make some from the tin trays you get from take away stuff. you've got to be kind of gentle with them and I wouldn't leave them on for the whole show but if it was just for one scene they work well enough

I recently managed to make some from the tin trays you get from take away stuff. you've got to be kind of gentle with them and I wouldn't leave them on for the whole show but if it was just for one scene they work well enough

our local takeaways now use plastic trays like thin tupperware for almost everything - useful source of gobo raw material gone for a burton!

OK, The metal is usu steel or sometimes brass, about 0.2 to 0.4 mm the etchant is Ferric Chloride. for one off spray car paint both sides works as a resist, draw the design by hand with a scriber you save on etchant by just scribing round areas to fall out, if you want the centre (as of a letter O ) to stay in you only scribe a dotted line. OR use photo resist and a good artwork

Archived