DMX controlled (mirror ball?) rotator

sleepytom

yeah I had thought that mirror ball technology was probably not 100% ideal (even a vidiot like myself can see that mirror balls are not exactly precision engineered devices!)

the robe banner rotator looks like it would be perfect if only it cost a bit less, don't suppose anyone knows of any cheaper alternatives to the robe?

or...

has anyone got any broken macs which still spin round? that could be the most affordable option for the proof of concept stage

I could point you to chinese companies who manufacture Robe Spinner copies if you want.

Not quite sure if it really does take 50kg or would spin at all.

yeah I'd like to know about the dodgy Chinese copies, I don't normally think such things are worth using but I'd be interested in getting a price from them. if it is cheap then I could get a unit for development of the idea at least, though I doubt I'd want to use them on actual shows.

See if you can get a spares only mover and use the base unit and yoke as your control, in 16 bit you should get the control you need. A bit of re engineering might be needed to get full 360 rotation though but as you don't need the control cables going to the head you may be able to remove the stops and re direct the gobo control to the rotation motor.

Sounds cheaper than other options.

Shame you need control of where it stops else you could just run a standard motor off a dimmer.

Archived