DMX controlled (mirror ball?) rotator

sleepytom

I need to get hold of a DMX (or rs232 or whatever really) mirror ball rotator motor. Ideally I'd like it to have a calibrated DMX control of speed with the ability to turn very slowly (as slow as 1RPM or even less would be good) The rotation speed needs to be quite accurately controlled and / or have a DMX output which gives the current position in degrees of rotation.

Oh and it needs to be able to take the weight of a large-ish thing hanging off the bottom of it (maybe 50KG)

does anyone know of anything that vaguely fits the bill? I'm in the early stages of this idea so I'm keen to hear of any DMX controlled rotators even if they don't meet my exact spec.

I'm aware that there are companies which do moving trusses and the like but they are a bit overkill for this idea.

HSL will make you a custom unit, I had a quote from them last year for an art installation project. Be sitting down when you get it though. I did also find via a serious google session far-eastern made units but safety specs proved a bit elusive.

[EDIT]

I think I also found one in the Showtec catalogue but as I can't find it at the moment....

I think I also found one in the Showtec catalogue but as I can't find it at the moment....

The Links I sent him were from the showtec catalog ... they only hold 10kg though I noticed you were looking for a 50kg, there is one on there but it is not DMX.

Menghini222

thanks I had seen the showtec one, it might do for the proof of concept. although I fear that it will be very crude with DMX simply setting the speed of rotation. I would much rather have a system where DMX was tied directly to the motor position.

Control by "mirror ball rotator" is going to be peculiar as they are usually very underpowered and need a short chain to take up the motor start up torque, attempts to stop a mirror ball in a particular place usually fail unless ther is positive direct drive with brakes.

yeah I had thought that mirror ball technology was probably not 100% ideal (even a vidiot like myself can see that mirror balls are not exactly precision engineered devices!)

the robe banner rotator looks like it would be perfect if only it cost a bit less, don't suppose anyone knows of any cheaper alternatives to the robe?

or...

has anyone got any broken macs which still spin round? that could be the most affordable option for the proof of concept stage

Archived