new regulations concerning smoke machines

vinny baby

there is a rumor flying around the industry about smoke and haze machines, people are telling me that new regualtions are being introduced to class smoke emiting machines into the same band as pyros, and you will have to obtain a licence to use on in public places, a lot of venues have actully taken the rumor seriously, and have banned the use of smoke, untill things are made more clearly.

Now as a person in the lighting industry, this is bad news, ever heard the exspression "pissing in the wind" this is a bit like trying to run a light show without smoke or haze.

its just silly.

also I work in a lighting store, (to fill dates in the diary) and 1 chap came in and asked about this, and said that he checked with the fire brigade about using smoke machines, concerning fire alarms and public health.

The fire brigade told him that, we can sell you smoke fluid that passes all regulations and doesnt set of the alarms.

best bit is, the fire brigade buy there fluid from the shop I work in. and yes its safe to use, but does set of alarms, if your careless.

Is the whole thing a giant scam??

vince

At my old venue, we had to declare the use of Smoke machines to the licencing authority and they permit or didn't permit based on the model of machine. I believe my old flatmate also has the same restrictions with his venue. It's real, folks. Licencing officers can apply pretty much any restrictions they like.

The Bad news: It is true!

The Model National Standard Conditions for Places of Entertainment states that you must have consent from the licencing authority to use fog. Said consent must be in writing.

The good news:

1) The conditions allow the licencing authority to vary any condition if they so desire.

2) Any busy licencing authority with any sense will issue blanket consent for venues that use fog regularly.

3) There are reports that licencing authorities are doing (2) above.

It means that unless you have had a blancket aproval for the use of smoke machines then you should seek aproval from licencing, the same as you should have done for the past god knows how many years.

I work in a venue that has a no smoke or haze rule and I have never once used it as an excuse for putting on a poor 'light show'.

The regs vary according to licensing authority but most places should get prior (2weeks or more) permission. Plus in any of the Banqueting/Hotel type venues the current staff likely cant work out how to correctly isolate/desensitise parts of the alarm system.

Does this meen that school will need a extra licence or will we be able to use our current pyro one?

If your local licencing authority has adopted the new conditions and your school has a blanket licence for pyros, you are very lucky.

Check the wording on the consent letter. If it says fog, you can use it of not, you need to apply for consent.

Regards

Ellis

Firstly it isn't a law as such, secondly it is allready in force.

If you have a public entertainments licence, depending on its wording, you will need to get concent prior to using pyros or fog effects.

...If you have a public entertainments licence...

and all venues (including schools) need one if the audience is paying or the event is open to the public (including parents!)

...If you have a public entertainments licence...

and all venues (including schools) need one if the audience is paying or the event is open to the public (including parents!)

Except if it's a church doing a religious show, AFAIR, and other derogations.

Archived