vga OUT usb IN

themadhippy

Anyone know of a device that you can plug into the vga output of a lighting desk and display it via the usb port on a pc.The pc in question is an all in one jobbie so using a vga switcher isnt possible. Google ect throws up 1000's of hits but they all appear to go to wrong way (usb out to vga).The idea is to try and cut down the number of monitors eating up desk space,theres hardly anywere to put me coffee.

Why not just use a KVM switch (like this) instead?

That way, you can even use the keyboard and mouse with the laptop without having to lean over to use the laptop's keyboard and mousepad.

You could also get a 4-way KVM switch for extra computers/laptops to connect to one <Keyboard, mouse, monitor> set.

EDIT:

Ok, I've re-read the original post and think I might have missed the

so using a vga switcher isnt possible
bit! ...Maybe you could fit a cheap graphics card to give you an external VGA connection?

Shoot me down if you want .. but for the same price as a capture card you could buy a cheap 15" TFT monitor

or 3,Had a good look around and so far the cheapest I can find is 299,00 euros even if the , is actually a . its still a bit steep.

OK, I've had another think, (after reading the original post properly!), and I think the only workable solution (within a reasonable budget) would be to network the PC and laptop together, and use VNC, PC-Anywhere, or even Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection, to operate the laptop remotely via the PC.

If the PC doesn't have a LAN connection, you could get a USB-to-LAN adapter.

after reading the original post properly
would be to network the PC and laptop together,

err wot laptop?

you can plug into the vga output of a lighting desk and display it via the usb port on a pc

However the network port is another option

The OP states VGA output from a lighting desk so network might be difficult :P .

I've had a look through our usual PC and AV books and can't find anything for under $300.

Best I can suggest is to buy a USB VGA Out for the all-in-one PC and then use a normal KVM with another flat screen in front of your all-in-one!

with another flat screen in front of your all-in-one

But then I cant use the touch screen on the all in one cause there's a monitor in the way :P

Now looking at converting vga to something (composite or s video) then a simple usb video input,not a one box elegant solution,but hopefully cheaper and more available than a bespoke solution

But then I cant use the touch screen on the all in one cause there's a monitor in the way :P

Sorry didn't realise it was a touch screen from the quick Google to find out what a 'all-in-one' actually was! :P

Archived