vga OUT usb IN

themadhippy

Now looking at converting vga to something (composite or s video) then a simple usb video input,not a one box elegant solution,but hopefully cheaper and more available than a bespoke solution
I was going to suggest this, given its a lighting desk, I'm guessing its running at 640x480 or 800x600 at most probably, so the composite bit shouldn't affect the quality to much, you should be able to easily do it for under £100.

• 2 years later...

On a similar kind of subject.

Does anyone have any advice on running a VGA signal into a Mac running Q Lab.

I'm receiving quite a few comedy shows where at some point in the performance they either want to flick to their power point presentation, or have us watch them search the internet from their onstage laptop.

As we have QLab set up for our main house shows and its running pretty much everything else and I really like it, Is there a nice way of taking the Laptops VGA Output and running it into QLab, possibly as a Camera Input?

Epiphan Systems - VGA2USB looks like it might do the job, has anyone had any success with this? Does it show up on QLab?

We have a catalyst system which is similar and use a blackmagic intensity pro http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/models/ to capture 1080i over hdmi. VGA generally feeds through a kramer scaler and this deals with the scaling from vga to hdmi and once its working it looks pretty good on static slides, however you do get artifacts with movement and there is a fair bit of latency which will become an issue as soon as audio is involved. Its a cheap solution {apart from the scaler} and you get external usb models as well. either wat it "should" just be another camera input as far as qlab is concerned.

Unless you need to window or Pip the laptop feed within other content, would it not be simpler to switch the projector input or add a simple 2:1 switcher as no matter what you do, there is allways going to be a surprisingly long delay and inevitable drop in quality if you take vga then digiitise it, proccess it and output it.

Archived