Bubbles with water, material and technical issues

att3ro

Well Ive got a big problem here, I have made a complete machine that creates

bubbles, but now I need some technique that will push out the bubbles but wont

let the water to the other side. I dont know how to do this if someone know how

to drill a certain hole or something that just let the air out and not the water inside.

Here is an image to simulate how I want it to work.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/9581/bubblen.th.jpg

If you got any questions how I want it to work, please just ask.

My Email, if you want to talk more private

Sorry - I think we need more info. You have already made the machine that creates bubbles? So we need to see photos or a plan of this. You want to push bubbles out? Out of what?

You say you don't want the water to get back in? I'm guessing that you have a tank, tube or some other container that you want to inject bubbles into? Then the only way to stop water getting back in is to either fit one way valves, or simply ensure the water pressure is always sufficient to keep the water out - but without a one-way valve turning off the compressor will let the water back in. Suitable valves can be found in model shops and fish tank suppliers, designed to be fitted into plastic tubing. They work with gas and fluids. They are small, plastic and not too expensive.

This website shows typical products

paulears, thats exacly what I need, can you please direct me to somewhere

I can see blueprints or something of it?

"edit"

Well that wasnt it, but I will send in soon how I want it to work. Just need to get

somethings back home

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Here is a more accurate sketch of my machine (couldnt get back into school, holidays), so here is the deal. I want to make

the air come in from the side then travel into the airvents and let out the air in form of bubbles (or something like that). But

for the tricky part, when I turn off the airflow, I dont want the water to come back into the machine through the holes. So is

there someway to stop this even when its turned off, so only theres one way access to the holes?

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4374/img380.jpg

(sorry for the bad resolution, but I think you can see it)

The Clay Paky water columns use a fish tank air pump feeding a one-way valve in the base of the column. It's been a while since I repaired one but I don't recall there being anything else special about the air delivery. Of course, the water tank needs to be vented at the top. Otherwise the air introduced by the pump has nowhere to go.

I'm guessing that you have a tank, tube or some other container that you want to inject bubbles into? Then the only way to stop water getting back in is to either fit one way valves, or simply ensure the water pressure is always sufficient to keep the water out - but without a one-way valve turning off the compressor will let the water back in.

Or, if the design of the prop allows (I'm assuming we're talking about some kind of prop here): mount the compressor above the level of the water in the tank and pipe the air down to the bottom.

OK.

My read on this is that the project is not for a stage prop - please correct me if I'm wrong, OP.

However, from what I understand from your posts and sketchy drawings, what I think you want is the ability to have a large air reservoir underneath a body of water with some vents in the meterial of the ceiling of the air cavity to allow bubbles to escape into the water above - right?

Now depending on the number of 'vents' involved I think you may be onto a loser here - I get the impression that you want a lot, thus giving a large volume of bubbles...?

The problem you'll have is that the more holes, or vents, you have, the lower the air pressure behind them will be, especially if you intend just having them supplied from this larger air cavity alone. that means that there's more chance of water returning through the valves when they're open, plus you'll need a much higher air pressure in the supply in order to actually open them in the first place.

I'd suggest that your best option will be to use a high pressure air source hooked up to a series of pipes - fish tank piping as has already been suggested - and forget the air cavity itself being under the water - simply lay out the piping to where you want the bubles to appear from on the florr of the water tank.

As has been mentioned, any fish tank supplier will be able to supply piping, 1-way valves and splitters/distribution connectors - I have one in my tank with one pipe in, 3 out (that can be added to) with a screw-cap on each outlet to regulate the feed to each outlet. But be wary that altering any of the outlet taps on that simple arrangement affects the pressure sent to the others!

You don't even need to go that far. All you need to do is run your air hose such that for part of its length it is higher than the water level in your tank.

Possibly, but risky - there would then be a chance of water syphoning back out.

Archived