Changing power socket on a Soundcraft Spirit Folio SX

tolley1466

I have a Spirit Folio SX, but I find the power socket into the desk is very sketchy, sometimes when it gets knocked it buzzes through the speakers until I give it a push in...

I was wondering considering the socket is a 3 pin socket, could I change the power-in to an 3 pin XLR? Obviously I'd do the same for the PSU too.....

I have a Spirit Folio SX, but I find the power socket into the desk is very sketchy, sometimes when it gets knocked it buzzes through the speakers until I give it a push in...

I was wondering considering the socket is a 3 pin socket, could I change the power-in to an 3 pin XLR? Obviously I'd do the same for the PSU too.....

I wouldn't reccomend XLR for the sake of confusion, don't want someone plugging the PSU into a channel or the output do we!

Instead I'd reccomend a 4 pin XLR , as this way it won't be able to be plugged into other things. I wouldn't fit a Powercon as it's not mains coming into the unit, it's a transformed supply.

Regard very carefully the strength of the securing positions. One of the most damaging failures of a laptop is the failure of the power connector! Because it usually breaks the mother board!

On the SX, the actual connector isn't attached to the board, so there shouldn't be any problem replacing it.

There's plenty of room inside the folio to adapt the power connector which is as you've found a weak point. Intermittent contact here can (and does) eventually overheat and blow the internal voltage regulators as they struggle to regulate the power from only one half the transformer.

I always use a ring-lock 3-pin DIN (Preh-system) connector because a)they're locking and b) most of the socket is contained external to the rear panel so it intrudes little into the folio and requires only 2 tiny fixing holes to be drilled into the aluminium.

http://www.canford.co.uk/images/itemimages/large/7906-01.jpg

Note the pic from the canford catalogue shows the 5-pin version which I dont use, and they arent the same as Bleecon if you use those for your lighting.

The 3 pin DIN Kevin mentions would be a good option.

I'd echo the caution against using a 3 Pin XLR for exactly the reasons ChazHS says. It's the most common audio connector and Sod's Law dictates that if somebody CAN plug something in wrong, they WILL.

However, for similar reasons I'd also worry a bit about the 4 Pin XLRs he suggested. It's much less likely an issue, but in the pro broadcasting area, 4 Pin XLR is a standard connector for a specific 12 volt DC feed to cameras and accessories. It's probably unlikely you'll work alongside a broadcaster...but you never know!

Bob

The 3 pin DIN Kevin mentions would be a good option.

I'd echo the caution against using a 3 Pin XLR for exactly the reasons ChazHS says. It's the most common audio connector and Sod's Law dictates that if somebody CAN plug something in wrong, they WILL.

However, for similar reasons I'd also worry a bit about the 4 Pin XLRs he suggested. It's much less likely an issue, but in the pro broadcasting area, 4 Pin XLR is a standard connector for a specific 12 volt DC feed to cameras and accessories. It's probably unlikely you'll work alongside a broadcaster...but you never know!

Bob

That I didn't know, learn something new every day!

Possibly a 6 pin XLR then? Don't see those about often. The reason I chose 4 pin is because Zero 88 use it for their PSU on the Frog range.

yep! If you have real concerns about people plugging other kit into it, make sure to use two different pins to the ones that they use!

M

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Oh, and make sure to use the male chassis socket and the female plug attached to the PSU to carry power btw

• 3 weeks later...
I made the mistake of buying a Soundcraft Notepad without a PSU, it also uses 17-0-17v, I'm happy to knock up such a unit but I can't find any info out there about the pin-out for the plug or any other data. Is it likely to be marked on the circuit board? Alternatively, anyone know where I can buy a standard psu (apart from the 50 quid one that appears everywhere on Google)? Cheers

Archived