Changing power socket on a Soundcraft Spirit Folio SX

tolley1466

Thanks for the info, I thought it must have been AC but I wanted to see it in black and white before hitting my unit with the wrong thing.

Well, I was thinking of building a power supply myself but your question has made me nervous about it, I must admit I would have been happier building a dual rail DC supply, I've done those before and mostly know what I'm doing. My first thoughts were to use something like a Maplin N08CF (20VA mains transformer with two 15v secondary windings) or possibly the 18v version, the secondaries connected together would give the centre tap.

The Thomann HB8051 looks too small to be a switched mode job so I'm guessing/hoping it can't be much more than a transformer, I suppose there could be some fuse/thermal cut-out arrangement and possibly some current limiting device but that's about it?

This arrangement would not be tolerant to mains fluctuations but I would expect the on-board regulators to take care of that.

The only thing in my hypothetical world that I'm less certain of is whether the phases at the two secondaries makes any difference.

What d'you reckon? Will it fly, or should I swallow my pride and fork out for a new one?

Archived