remember the speakers I bought from maplin?

psy

well as most of you had said they would not accept responsibility as the speaker had been overdriven so I told them to send them back to me as I was gonna fix the bad one and sell them on to recoup some of my losses.

anyway the delivery man left them with the missus today and when I took them outta the boxes the foot at the bottom of one cabinet is bashed up into the cab right through the wood. obviously the carrier has just threw the boxes down any old way and my missus said even when he was taking them outta the van he was on a phone and just throwing them out with the other hand. honestly you couldnt make this stuff up :rolleyes:

anyway its the bad speaker that its on so im gonna march back in and chance my arm to see if they give me a new speaker as im not having them fix it when the actual wood is bashed in. wonder if they will replace it or just give me a new cabinet ;)

Psy. I don't know how else to say this.

Give. Up. All. Hope.

Ps, it's not Maplins problem to replace them if the courier damaged them. In that case, your wife should NOT have signed for them, and should have lodged a claim with the courier company.

*headdesk*

I can just imagine making a claim against the courier..

"What was the contents of the package?"

"A pair of broken speakers"

"So, the package contained broken speakers, and you're trying to claim that they were damaged in transit?"

You could write a book about this...

Of course, if your wife signed for them 'In Good Condition' then you may have a problem.

Psy. I don't know how else to say this.

Give. Up. All. Hope.

Ps, it's not Maplins problem to replace them if the courier damaged them. In that case, your wife should NOT have signed for them, and should have lodged a claim with the courier company.

*headdesk*

if maplin sent the item and it was damaged either by the courier or themselves it is their responsibility to sort it with the courier not mine. as for my wife checking them the items were boxed and the courier said she was not supposed to be opening them as I asked her specifically to check that they had sent the speakon leads back as well.

as for give up all hope, you must be joking. ive already taken the hit and accepted their decision that the speaker was overdriven but im not accepting a busted speaker cabinet back and frankly I dont know anybody in their right mind who would. would you? im pretty sure you wouldnt unless you werent very intelligent which im sure is not the case.

ive had my fill of all this crap tbh and just want to see the back of it but why would I accept back a busted cabinet and give up hope as you put it? you dont work for maplins by any chance do you ? or I suppose its my fault the cabinet was busted by somebody else eh? :rolleyes:

if maplin sent the item and it was damaged either by the courier or themselves it is their responsibility to sort it with the courier not mine. as for my wife checking them the items were boxed and the courier said she was not supposed to be opening them as I asked her specifically to check that they had sent the speakon leads back as well.

It's an unfortunate fact of life that many delivery drivers are bare face liars. May not be the case here, but quite possible.

He cannot tell you that you can't inspect the goods before you sign for them. What's the point in signing otherwise?

The reason is they just want to get away and don't like hanging around, possibly because they want to finish early, or they have been given more deliveries than is reasonably practical in the time alowed, either is true.

Just like shops who tell you to contact the manufacturer when you have faulty goods, couriers rely on naivety.

Not very helpful, but it could give you grounds to complain to the delivery company about the driver's behaviour.

If they've been signed for in good condition, whether your wife knew she was signing for them in that way or not, then that means you've accepted the speakers back and legally I doubt there's anything you can really do. Generally if I can't inspect items for whatever reason I'll always make sure I cross out "in good condition" before I sign... Yes, you could lodge a complaint with the courier company but I doubt that'll do much for your legal standpoint.

ive had my fill of all this crap tbh and just want to see the back of it but why would I accept back a busted cabinet and give up hope as you put it? you dont work for maplins by any chance do you ? or I suppose its my fault the cabinet was busted by somebody else eh?

It's life, these things happen, can you not just learn from it and move on? They're a couple of crappy cheapo speakers, yes you could kick up all sorts of fuss about it in the hope that it'll be resolved - but is it really worth the time and the effort for what will probably be a negative conclusion? I know it's easier said than done but personally I'd just treat it as one of those things and make sure I was more careful about where I bought things from in future.

I really would advise laying this whole situation to rest though, there does come a point where things get ridiculous...

If they've been signed for in good condition, whether your wife knew she was signing for them in that way or not, then that means you've accepted the speakers back and legally I doubt there's anything you can really do. Generally if I can't inspect items for whatever reason I'll always make sure I cross out "in good condition" before I sign... Yes, you could lodge a complaint with the courier company but I doubt that'll do much for your legal standpoint.

ive had my fill of all this crap tbh and just want to see the back of it but why would I accept back a busted cabinet and give up hope as you put it? you dont work for maplins by any chance do you ? or I suppose its my fault the cabinet was busted by somebody else eh?

It's life, these things happen, can you not just learn from it and move on? They're a couple of crappy cheapo speakers, yes you could kick up all sorts of fuss about it in the hope that it'll be resolved - but is it really worth the time and the effort for what will probably be a negative conclusion? I know it's easier said than done but personally I'd just treat it as one of those things and make sure I was more careful about where I bought things from in future.

I really would advise laying this whole situation to rest though, there does come a point where things get ridiculous...

well theres also the fact that its maplins fault as the speakers were not properly packaged and just threw into boxes with a bit of padding round the side and nothing underneath or above the speaker. also throw in the fact that the courier would not wait fo the irems to be checked and besides even if he would how the hell is my 8 month pregnant wife suppose to be lifting speakers out and examining them.

either way the cabinet was not damaged when I gave it to them nor when their engineers examined it and filed the report I have so im damned if im gonna accept this.

OK I can speak from experience of damaged goods as it's rather a common thing.

First of all, your claim is against the sender of the goods, the contract for delivery will be between the courier and the sender. So speak to the sender and explain what's happened. Make sure you keep the packaging. What usually happens is that the courier will send a loss adjuster to inspect to see if they were packaged properly. If they were, and they're still damaged, then the claim is against the sender alone who will be liable for the poor packaging. If they're well packed, the loss adjuster will see that and rule the courier must have mishandled them and so its up to them to claim off their courier, they should compensate you themselves. Either way, you should expect to get the goods in the same condition as when they were despatched. So, either way, you should be ok on this one. Just make sure you keep that packaging or else the whole episode will rapidly deteriorate against you!

Is the fact that you left your

8 month pregnant wife
to take delivery of the speakers also the couriers fault as well?

Surely if the corner has been "bashed up" the outer packaging, however thin, would show signs of impact?

If these are the speakers you bought http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=220554

then either buy a replacement (their on sale at only £99.99 :rolleyes:..... Wonder why? or sell the remaining good one.

Cut your loses and your stress and buy decent quality kit and not something a 13 year old would. I.e not made of chipboard and without a product description that thinks a "Superior full metal grille provides more than adequate protection for the driver and horns" is a selling point..............

Jimbo

I think a few people are being a bit hard here.

If it was me I would phone the store or even better go down, and calmly talk to the manager.

Explain the situation, and see how it goes from there.

A big store like Maplin will have a goal post they could move, and may come to some mutual arrangement as a gesture of goodwill.

also throw in the fact that the courier would not wait fo the irems to be checked

One company I buy from now & again stick a big A4 notice on all of their packages explaining that you're entitled time to check the goods and that signing for them makes claims against the courier almost impossible (for that particular courier at least). If the driver won't wait, he won't get a signature - seems like a win-win. Things get a bit impracticable when you've ordered a couple of dozen boxes that all arrive wrapped up in industrial clingfilm on a pallet though...

John,

your post was a good recommendation as how to handle a dispute with a retailer, however, if you buy bargain basement equipment (£140 speakers, if they are the ones in question), and go out to a client and sell them a product, then you must be able to stand buy your product/purchase. (and even if you wished to recover the cost of 2 speakers and a Maplins amp, then at a 10 time hire is only £45 a time)

I would liken it to a chef going to pound store to buy their knives and then complaining that they are blunt within a week.

This forum is for people that work in a professional industry, and use and recommend equipment based upon their experience and opinion.

Maybe Psy would get more sympathy on a DJ forum (not that all DJ's are un-professional or use bargain basement kit). But we are talking about Budget kit, sold very cheaply.

You get what you pay for is a phrase that is written all over this thread.

If you want something at the cheapest price possible, buy cheap. Or if you want something that the Pro's use, then you can stand by and will last, then buy Pro.

Jimbo

You're within your right to sign for the package and right "Items not inspected". You're signing to say you've received a package but you've not had the time, especially with a pallet load, to check each item.

I do that routinely when accepting a large delivery.

Most courier drivers are cool with it, they don't want to wait around while I check off a few tonnes of lanterns, cable and controls.

Never just sign a couriers delivery note UNLESS you have inspected the contents and are happy, and I second the comment about the drivers not wanting to wait (And being willing to lie to avoid it).

I also second the comments on using fisher price gear from a high street toy shop, and the reliability you can typically expect from same when you try to use it to do a real job.

Regards, Dan.

Archived