Strongest light? Halogen, LED, Old style bulb?

sarasara

Hi Folks,

I have poor eyesight and am an artist. I find the new energy saving bulbs fairly useless and want to buy a working lamp with either the old 60w bulb or the equivelant in LED or Halogen. Which is the brightest, the most lumens?

Thanks for your advice,

sara.

Out of those you listed, halogen. You should be ok with the energy saving lamps though if you go for the highest power ones and give them a minute to warm up.
The problem with energy saving bulbs is they do not give out the right light for people with vision impairment, this is now medically estabished and here in the UK such people have been advised to stop using them.

One thing about halogen though, is it a very hot bulb?

Thanks dbuckley, but s.a.d. bulbs not bright enough for me.

Halogen will be hot, yes. But it will probably be your best option and definitely more efficient than basic tungsten, giving much the same sort of light. Dichroic types have reflectors designed to throw heat backwards.

The next step up is a gas discharge type lamp. These are even more efficient but are much more expensive and I'm not aware of their use in domestic situations. They tend to give a higher colour temperature. Unfortunately they are also very hot.

Thanks Paulears and Jivemaster. Flourescents I tried but I think I will just go for the old fashioned 60w, halogen sounds too hot. Hard to buy a clamp anglepoise 60w anymore in the UK as the sites proudly tell you the lamps are all energy saving. May have to get a lamp from ther US.

Halogen won't be much different temperature to tungsten. They are just hot in comparison to fluorescent or LED.

There are 12v and 240v versions and commonly there are 20W or 50W lamps. 50W should give more output than a 60W tungsten but it won't be much hotter.

I think you'll be able to find either sort of anglepoise in uk still, but you may find that the halogen lamps will be easier to get hold of in the future as our lovely faithful tungstens start to disappear from stores.

Archived