Inexpensive 12" self powered speakers

david.elsbury

Hi all

Looking to spec a new set of FOH speakers for a church I've become involved with.

Predominantly speech, vocals and piano at the moment but the occasional full band work as well.

Currently they have JBL EONs, 12"/1" (which are *horrible*)

Looking at replacing with either the D&B Basic 400 or the D&B Opera Live 402.

Also seeking opinions on the Samson S-curve 231 (2x31band GEQ) and the Sennheiser E840 vocal mic.

Working to a budget, as always, but don't at all need to be rider friendly.

Hit me with your best shot... Cheers ;)

David

Looking at replacing with either the D&B Basic 400 or the D&B Opera Live 402.

You're confusing two different companies here. D&B make decent but expensive gear while dB Technologies are effectively RCF's budget brand. The dB Technologies gear that I've used has offered extremely good value for money and some people reckon that they're better than the equivalent Mackie plastic boxes. They're certainly a step up from the bottom of the range boxes from people like Thomann.

Cheers

James.

You're confusing two different companies here. D&B make decent but expensive gear while dB Technologies are effectively RCF's budget brand.

Cheers

James.

I don't think Greg would agree with you James, RCF are not related to dB tech in any way.

I don't think Greg would agree with you James, RCF are not related to dB tech in any way.

Sorry, John, but that's not true... ;-)

From a press release dated 30/08/2007:

"Since the end of July 2007, RCF S.p.a. and A.E.B. Industriale (manufacturer of the brand dBTechnologies ) are joined together as a holding under the name of “RCF Group”, at the Milano Stock exchange.

Managing Director and main shareholder is Mr. Arturo Vicari, who comments on this big step as follows:

“By going public, the RCF group drives its worldwide growth further and further. The synergy between the high prestige of the brand and the competence and knowledge of our own research and development plus the possibility to grow in the professional audio and the contractor market at the same time, are the main directives of our strategy.”

In 2006 the RCF GROUP had a total turnover value of 48.385 million Euro with an overall growth of 26% compared to 2005. For the fiscal year 2007, a constant growth is expected".

David,

I appreciate that Eons may not be everyone's cup of tea, but they are not an inexpensive loudspeaker (not that price alone should be an overiding factor). Is there scope for some creative eq to tame the bright response that many feel these boxes have?

I'm just thinking that in this small budget scenario, trying to get the Eons working better has to be a more effective use of funds?

If you and the church really can't stand them, then please do send them to me for humane disposal ;-) Sorry I can't pay postage though!

Simon

I love the DB tech opera boxes. Got the 405's and they totally kick crappy (Mackie) into touch. You can pick up a 2nd hand pair for around 400 GBP over here. Not sure if you'll be so lucky in your neck of the world.

One of them has a rather odd fault (which I beleive is with the HF diaphram, which will require replacement) so I'm preempting this by considering replacement boxes. I suppose that yes, we could EQ the snot out of the top end, but... these boxes are over 10 years old (so I'm told anyway) and I just think it's time for replacement...

It's just a little concerning that I can't seem to find user manuals, spec sheets, anything really, for the dB boxes online.

And WRT the Samson EQ, Yeah I suspected it'd be a little noisy. Worse than a Phonic, for example?

Yeah, not too sure, normally I'd go for something Mackie, but the money's just not there. Otherwise my other options are Proel, or Wharfdale (not really thinking Wharfdale for this install tho...)

I love the DB tech opera boxes. Got the 405's and they totally kick crappy (Mackie) into touch. You can pick up a 2nd hand pair for around 400 GBP over here. Not sure if you'll be so lucky in your neck of the world.

I'd be seriously wary of Mackie gear since they moved production to China. Product quality appears to have nosedived, and that's from a retailer that does in-house repairs.

Archived