Drawing PCB layouts electronically

Hello,

Just wondered if anyone has drawn up a PCB layout so that you could fit it on top of your PCB and solder the bits on with the piece of paper in place?I.e so it's to scale.

I've got quite a few boards to make up so my plan was to print a few out to make it easy and to make sure they're all the same. I've downloaded a programme called DipTrace but am struggling to use it so has anyone used anything a bit easier?!

Thanks

Emma.

Hello,

Just wondered if anyone has drawn up a PCB layout so that you could fit it on top of your PCB and solder the bits on with the piece of paper in place?I.e so it's to scale.

I've got quite a few boards to make up so my plan was to print a few out to make it easy and to make sure they're all the same. I've downloaded a programme called DipTrace but am struggling to use it so has anyone used anything a bit easier?!

Thanks

Emma.

I've been laying out PCBs for more years than I care to remember. From where did you get the bare boards? PCBs usually have a silk screen showing the component layout. If not the designer should have that available. More detail would be helpful.

KiCAD is a good open source PCB layout package that will do what you want, but does require a schematic to be entered. If you just want a component placement diagram try Powerpoint or Draw which is part of the OpenOffice suite.

P.S. Soldering through a sheet of paper probably isn't a good idea, but I suppose you knew that already.

I made all my PCB layouts in M$ Publisher and then printed them out on acetate sheet to use in the light box. All words and labels came out when I etched the board. Took a bit of time to do all the pins for chips but once you have done one it's just copy and paste.

Not sure if this is what you meant but I found it to be a tidy way of doing it.

Hi Emma

I think you'll struggle with a bit of paper underneath all your components. The trick when manually stuffing multiple boards is not to do one board at a time but to do one component at a time. ie to place the same component in the same place on each board and then move on. You can often place a dozen or so components like this and then solder them and crop the legs.

Other useful tips....

* Place the components in reverse height order (lowest first), so things like wire links, then resistors, then ics etc etc

* A bit of foam can be placed on top of the board before it's flipped over for soldering to stop things falling out. Better yet, one of these...

post-207-1238480912_thumb.jpg

...will make life much easier. About £150-£200 though.

Thanks for your replies everyone and for the link to express PCB. I've just downloaded and it seems to be much easier than the other software I was using.

I'll still explain a little, just to clear things up... the design is my own hence I don't have a design from a manufacturer. I've got some matrix boards - the ones that are copper on one side with holes drilled through so you have to scrape away the copper to stop short circuiting. Maybe PCB was the wrong term. The theory is to put the piece of paper on the non-copper side so you can poke the components through and solder on the other side if that makes sense. I don't know if this will work or if the paper will just end up getting in the way but I think it's good to have a neat, electronic drawing of your work anyway so it's worth doing.

Thanks for the bits of advice and technique too, unfortunately I can't afford £200 but I did just order a little "helping hand" magnifying glass with some croc clips so that will help hold things in place at least!

Cheers.

Emma.

I've got some matrix boards - the ones that are copper on one side with holes drilled through so you have to scrape away the copper to stop short circuiting.

As the Mad Hippie said, that sounds like Veroboard. You say above "scrape away" ? I usually use a 3-4mm HSS drill bit as a hand tool, but you can buy proper tools that will cut the tracks easily. Do a Google for Vero Track Cutter.

The theory is to put the piece of paper on the non-copper side so you can poke the components through and solder on the other side if that makes sense. I don't know if this will work or if the paper will just end up getting in the way but I think it's good to have a neat, electronic drawing of your work anyway so it's worth doing.

Without knowing how complex the design is..... The main problem here, is that you're going to have to get the scale drawing print out spot on to match the dot pitch (hole spacing) of the Vero, and yes it could work, although a little unsightly. For most electronic citcuits, there won't be a problem with the paper presence, and you could always tear most of it out once finished.

I think, personally from what you've said, I'd rather have a lager scale drawing sitting in front of me, then build the board from that.

I did just order a little "helping hand" magnifying glass with some croc clips so that will help hold things in place at least!

Worth their weight in gold ;)

Edit to add......

Emma, I've jus checked you're profile and you state you're a Lecturer.....Is this a project for students to assemble, or a circuit where you need to make multiple copies.

Do a search on google for stripboard layout programs, there are free ones including VeeCAD.

What you are describing is silk screen printing. If you need more than a few boards made, it is worthwhile getting them made commercially as they will be able to put the silk screen layer on as well. If you know someone that screen prints tee shirts or similar, they may be able to help you out.

Be careful when using paper as a component guide as it may become conductive if it soaks up moisture.

Why not look at iron on transfers made on a printer, providing they are not conductive.

Thanks all,

Although I am a lecturer, this is my own project so I'm afraid I can't rope any students in to soldering for me! I'm doing my Master's degree part time which is what this is for.

I use a dremmel to scrape away the copper on the circuit board. To be honest, if I can't get it right with the paper, I probably won't bother as by the time I've got things printed etc I could have just spent a little extra time soldering it straight on and using a little more concentration. Just thought it might have been easy as I have about 8 to make. Worth knowing though, in case my grand ideas ever get in to mass production?! The design isn't that complex and the circuit board will be hidden so there's no worry of it looking unsightly. Think I might just draw it up, print out a big copy and sit down with a beer and solder....do alcohol and soldering really go? Maybe a cup of tea...

Thanks agian chaps

Emma.

Thanks all,

Although I am a lecturer, this is my own project so I'm afraid I can't rope any students in to soldering for me! I'm doing my Master's degree part time which is what this is for.

Which Msc are you doing ?..

There are many pieces of software out there, The one I found usefull in duplicating a pcb/veroboard is Sprint Layout from http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/ - 40 Euros.

The one feature is that it allows you to scan/photograph a PCB and then use the 'scaled' image as an ovelay in replicating the PCB. Very useful for old burn't out boards, etc..

:unsure:

post a copy of the circuit diagram and I'll run it through stripboard magic if you like

Thanks for the offer...I've started the soldering so I'm just going to plough on with it! Thanks for all the offers and help - I didn't realise it would be so complicated! Think it's easier to just get my big print out and solder bit by bit.

Cheers!

Emma.

Archived