Robe Finally Releases A Fixture Based around the Plasma Lamp

3guk

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

22,000 & 10,000 of flux and O/P Lumens (respectively) from a 266w lamp isn't bad at all is it.. Haven't looked on the CP website, but surely that must beat the new alpha 300s?

One things got me a bit concerned & puzzled..

The Robin 3 Plasma Spot also offers a 20 - 100% dimming capability
Surely they're not electronically dimming them? :D (Apologies if this isn't actually possible.. I've not looked into LiFi/Plasma lamps at all!) I'll be interested to see what the reasoning behind not having 0-100% dimming is, hopefully they'll be a bit of a hidden surprise thats not mentioned in the press release.. Like 0-19% outputs so little amount of light, its close enough to being b/o? But still.. why not just stick a mechanical dimmer in, unless there just wasn't any room in the head to fit a dimmer module.

Seems like its the time of year when everyone's bringing out new 'toys'. VL have the VLX, Martin have they're branded version of the JBLED A7/Mac301, Robe have these. Seems like everyones just following the same trends (LED heads, ML Beamlights & occasionally digital heads), just in different order!

T

I should imagine the 20 - 100% dimming refers to the range of electronic dimming on the lamp for applications that dont require full power. Im sure there is a more conventional dimmer in the unit as well.

In that text it doesn't say anything about zoom, colors, gobos or things like that, just that it has a 20-100% dimmer.
So?

The Robin 3 Plasma Spot comes complete with an extreme light output of 18,000 Lumens, colour rendering index (94), a flat and even light beam (1 : 1) and a lifespan of 10,000 hours....*snip* a semi-hot re-strike facility of less than a 20th of a second for the full lamp brightness to be restored after shutting off.... *snip* There is an exceptional optical efficiency of 54% and a lamp luminous flux of 22,000 Lumens, giving the fixture an incredible output of 10,000 Lumens – never previously achieved from a 266W light source...
At this stage, who cares about things like colour/gobo/zoom. I'm sure it'll do atleast the standard box of tricks..

Information about the fixture's features such as the stuff above is much more important a selling point than exacting details of how many colours it does. These days, where nearly every fixture does the same trick, being able to say you have something that boasts that good CRI and lamp effecicenty is going to stand out a lot more than oh it has '2x colour wheels, a gobo wheel, etc etc'.

Just my view.. but that's why I directed you to the link above. I assumed you wanted useful/interesting details, not the standard schoolboy type stuff <_<.

T

Does plasma lamps need a heavy ballast?

Plasma is microwave excited so its not a ballast but a microwave source, this leads on the question of how long the microwave source actually lasts...

10K hours may be lifespan on microwave source and plasma capsule.

http://www.ceravision.com/technology.php

oops wrong plasma lamp

http://www.lifi.com/

data sheet dosent give weight

Yeah, I was looking for the weight too. Would be very interesting to se the weight of the plasma head. Maybe will be around 20kg when there is no ballast? That would be great. A small head with functions and light output like a big head and still a low number on the weight tag.

Yeah, I was looking for the weight too. Would be very interesting to se the weight of the plasma head. Maybe will be around 20kg when there is no ballast? That would be great. A small head with functions and light output like a big head and still a low number on the weight tag.

Probably less than that unless the majority of it is solid metal heatsink - the measurements suggest something with a volume of only about 1.5 litres. Not quite the "ultra small" source the blurb suggested (only in relation to traditional high-power light rigs I'd say - you're not going to be putting them in a desk lamp any time soon) but definitely reduced.

Archived