Robe Finally Releases A Fixture Based around the Plasma Lamp

3guk

I was making a general statement - nowhere was I referring specifically to Robe. Nor did I comment on their product.

To elaborate on my statement; the old saying still stands, you can any two of the three: cheap/fast/good. Getting a product right, reliable and at a fair price takes time. There is massive step in cost and time between showing off a few working prototypes and having a fully productized, tested, certified product ready for release. We, like just about every manufacturer, have at one time or another, made the mistake of a premature release and it always comes back to hurt you - a lot! We'd rather spend a few months extra and get it right.

And for the record, I have a lot of respect for Robe and what they have accomplished.

Anyone interested in a plasma based fixture is hopefully able to do a shootout and make up their own mind.

Mats Karlsson

Technology Manager

Martin Professional

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

I wonder what Martin's Press Office would say about Mats Karlsson's post and whether that was an authorised comment about Robe's product (considering it must be past 23.00 in Sweden). ^_^

Well if care so much, why don't you call them and ask? ;)

And FYI - Martin is headquartered in Denmark, not Sweden.

Mats Karlsson

Technology Manager

Martin Professional A/S

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mats,

"Smaller companies often has the advantage of being able to move fast..."

So if not Robe what company were you talking about as far as the development of a plasma lamp source goes?

"larger companies (like us) have the advantages of more R&D resources and can often do a more thorough job."

Again I ask why you are saying having more resources means it takes more time?

"The plasma technology is still in its early days and very much a moving target"

Absolutely its in its early days but so what? This is the reason that you should look to move fast and get in on the ground floor...

"Our customers do want products that not only work but keep on working for years and years. That takes a bit more R&D and testing to assure."

Ok, so this is what "your customers" want... In this industry there are very rarely customers who are that loyal to only one manufacturer and end users will look at the product that serves them best for the best price. "Your Customers" will also be Robe customers, Highend customers, Varilite customers... All customers want reliable products and what you have said in your original post is that you are slower than Robe because of this, while this does not state that the Robe units will not be reliable it certainly implies it.

Also please let us know if you are posting this as any sort of statement from Martin as this is a little unclear or if you are just saying this as your opinion? It does seem a little strange that you arrive as a new member and strait away start to talk about how you are better than the other manufactures out there and I'm wondering if this is officially as a Martin employee or not.

Ben

Oh dear. I don't think this is productive at all! There's room for everyone. Please avoid the bickering.

Personally I'd be more interested to hear Mats Karlsson's views on this potentially important technology, especially seeing as noone from Robe is here yet...

Is there an improvement in colour rendering compared to HID?

Is lamp life believed to be the most significant advantage?

How will output and rendering be affected by life?

Similarly, will they suffer from life/output reduction by excessive striking/running at low level for extended periods etc? (in comparison to HID).

Is it possible to hot-restrike? The initial impression from Robe was this would be good, but in reality their stated time before strike was a disappointment.

I appreciate these questions may be better answered by lamp manufacturer, but hey!

especially seeing as noone from Robe is here yet...

Yes that is a shame I will point out the thread to one of them tomorrow if I get a chance as I'm sure they will be happy to discuss it a bit.

Also its not bickering I just feel that this seems to be having a dig at Robe and then going back I am only asking for some clarification on it.

Is there an improvement in colour rendering compared to HID?

The Plasma lamp used in the Robin 3 plasma fixture from Robe has a CRI of 94

Is lamp life believed to be the most significant advantage?

I think this is up to each and everyone what they consider to be the most significant advantage!

To me the most important feature of the Plasma lamp is the CRI of 94, and the almost completley flat field (1:1,7)

The 10.000 lamp hours are (for me!) just an added bonus.

How will output and rendering be affected by life?

During the lifespan of the lamp(10.000h) you will se the output drop down to roughley 70% and you will se the Colortemp drop by roughly 500K from 6000K to 5500K. More information here: http://www.lifi.com/pdfs/AppBriefEntertainmentLighting.pdf and here: http://www.lifi.com/pdfs/ProductBulletinLI...TA-40Series.pdf

Similarly, will they suffer from life/output reduction by excessive striking/running at low level for extended periods etc? (in comparison to HID).

I honestley don't know. I'm sure someone else might sheed some light(no pun intended ^_^ ) on this.

Is it possible to hot-restrike? The initial impression from Robe was this would be good, but in reality their stated time before strike was a disappointment.

It has a "semi hot-restrike" function. this means that it takes less than 120 sec. for the lamp to regain full brightness after it has been shut of.

When the douser is completley shut the lamp power will be reduced to 20%. the time for the lamp to reach full brightnes when full power is beeing restored is only a few milisec.

Dear Ben,

Having more R&D resources is not necessarily always about cutting development time. It's also about being able to do a more thorough job, to be able to dig a bit deeper, uncover possible issues and finding lasting solutions to them. It is also about being able to do research that isn't necessarily tied to a specific product developement project.

And no, this is not the "official line" from Martin Professional. I am posting my own opinion here but I clearly state who I am and not hiding behind an alias of some sort.

I have no hidden agenda, my original posting was not about Robe but rather a reaction to a rather glib remark about us in another posting.

And for what it's worth, you're always welcome to come and visit us at Martin HQ in Denmark.

Mats Karlsson

Technology Manager

Martin Professional A/S

Thanks for clarifying Mats,

But I'm sure that if you go back and re-read your post you can se how most people would take it as an attack on Robe.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys will do with the Plasma source.

Mats,

That's a lot more clear thank you. I hope you didn't think I was having a go at you but the comments you made did seem to be directed towards Robe as they were on a thread dedicated to a new product by them and you were not clear at first what you meant.

We all await the product you are developing but you did seem to say that you are doing R&D to find possible problems and while not saying it you imply that Robe have not. Thank you for clearing what you mean up.

I have pointed the thread out to someone at Robe who said they will take a look and see if they feel they can shed a bit more light (pun intended) on the product to answer some of the questions.

Ben

• 4 months later...

Archived