www.usedlighting.co.uk AWOL

karl

I can only sum that up as a less than satisfied customer of UK2 that they probably having a "technical" glitch or the cleaner has probably pulled the plug again. Eitherway the page will probably be available again in 10 mins...

Someone needs to phone their technical support and tell them to turn it off and on again...

P.

Any body know where www.usedlighting.co.uk has gone? I'm getting a page from uk2.net saying "usedlighting.co.uk

has been registered by a customer of UK2".

Server migration. Started at 6pm last night. It will be down until the DNS update populates around the net. Will be down for a MAXIMUM of 24 hours and I took the view that a friday night was probably the least important time of the week for this to happen. The change was mandatory as we needed greater functionality for various things in the pipeline. Should all be back soon.

Iain

So this was a scheduled outage? It's not exactly a glowing reference for the hosting company, or whoever's doing the IT support. It's perfectly possible to do this sort of thing with zero downtime - or at least a redirect to a meaningful holding page - given advance notice. You simply decrease the TTL value on the appropriate DNS records from their usual value (which may be hours or days) to a few minutes. Therefore the old data is not cached, and there's no need to wait "until the DNS update populates around the net".

If I (as an IT professional) had organised a migration of a key service with such downtime, I would almost certainly be invited to have a short meeting with the management, at which tea and biscuits would not be on the agenda.

It's perfectly possible to do this sort of thing with zero downtime.

I was thinking the very same thing when I read this thread yesterday. Although I am not an IT professional, I have run and worked on enough websites (including sizeable ecommerce sites) but never have experienced a "planned" outage when migrating servers, changing DNS etc.

Having said that, I also know how stressful it is having a site down for any length of time - especially when there is sales at stake. Glad seems is well now.

Archived