Hav a look at this for a distro

World_Lighter

Can't work out what it's plugged into? Not something from this country, I'd say and certainly unlikely to be rated at 60A?

The sockets on the right at the top look very much like North American 120V outlets.

I *think* the middle socket is a delta-wired (ie phase to phase) American outlet, with a corresponding voltage of 208V. Perhaps someone can confirm?

Regards,

Marc

I *think* the middle socket is a delta-wired (ie phase to phase) American outlet, with a corresponding voltage of 208V.

Looks a bit like a Hubbel (single phase) to me ...

Its definately a Hubble connector! I've changed dozens of hubble plugs for 16A Ceeforms this week, so know that for certain!!!

You CAN run 3-phase delta through them, i.e. Phase 1 - Pin X, Phase 2 - Pin Y, Earth - Pin G, and in the US you get a 208V AC across XY. Or single phase i.e. Neutral - Pin X, Live - Pin Y, Earth - Pin G.

The lights I've been changing the plugs on will only run on a delta 3-phase supply in the US as they need >180V AC for the lamp. So you can connect its hubble plug to a 3-phase supply in the US or a single phase supply in the UK and it will work OK.

Hubble connectors are not that nice though - they don't seem to mate very securely.

Hubble connectors are not that nice though - they don't seem to mate very securely.

That's true. My local theatre (built in the early 70's) has Hubbel outlets on all the 5k circuits in the main house. I'm always mildly amazed that the weight of the cable (or jumper - they run them all with Hubbel-to-Ceeform jumpers these days) hanging off the connector doesn't just pull the whole thing apart, given that the only thing that physically holds the plug/socket combination together is the pins and even that's a rather flimsy-looking method of physical connection. (The 5ks in the studio theatre were added as part of a later refit, so they're all Ceeform ...)

My entire venue is wired in those "Hubbles" - although we call them twistloks. They suck very very much. And all the mains is on those terrible 110v connectors that are super-super flimsy. And the VLs are on those silly VL connectors. All in all, not good. Stop complaining about 15a folks, the yanks use some truly terrible connections.

Archived