Rigging on scaff pole and stands

tom_the_LD

Hi guys,

I'm sure there was a topic or tw on this but I can't find them - sticking 'scaffolding' and 'scaffolding rigging' turns up lots of info about scaff courses!!

Basically I've got a gig coming up soon on a low budget which needs some lights - very small scale. Now, the venue has no bars in the ceiling for mounting stuff off so I have two options.

1) A few stands with lights on and then the movers on the floor (2 Robe 170 AT's).

OR

2) A stand at one end of the 'stage' (SL) and a stand at the other end of the 'stage' (SR) with a coupler on top of each stand and a 13 foot scaff pole going between the two? (Either steel or aluminium - probably aluminium). I use the term stage in quotes as it's not a real stage; just the area the band will be playing in.

If I go with option 2, will the bar be able to take the weight of:

12 x PAR 56's

2 x Robe 170 AT's

1 x Strobe (About the weight, maybe slightly lighter, than the P56's)

The stands will be raised to about 7ft.

Thanks a lot for the help and if any more info is needed then give me a shout!

Tom, let me be the first of many to say that if you even consider option 2 you are in real danger of seriously harming either yourself or the band - As has often been stated in this forum many times before, if you have to ask such a question you are in no position to implement it.

it's not worth the hassle.

stick with two stands for the pars at the back corners of the stage with some gels, stick the movers on some boxes and add abit of haze.

nice and simple

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies - after talking to a couple of other people I am not going to go for option 2 - I have decided the scaff pole simply won't be up to it.

However the guys I spoke to did suggest an option 3 - use a piece of trilite. How does this sound?

Tom it's still the same answer! If you cannot do the rigging calculations, loads and positions, and come up with a comparison with the maker's loading tables for the beam and the stands then you should not be doing this. Remember also that not all three tube truss is "Tri-lite" TM. Any other three tube truss may be weaker or stronger -even if it is a look -alike.

Jivemaster is right, trilite still cant be spanned this distance with this being hung on it. It is far to dangerous off just 2 points it will deffinitaly sag and even snap.

Also please bare in mind after you have got the pole/truss in the air it will still have the lamps hanging down and possibly block peoples views, just a thought

Hope this helps

Steven

trilite still cant be spanned this distance with this being hung on it. It is far to dangerous off just 2 points it will deffinitaly sag and even snap.

Steven

Sorry, but that's absolute nonsense. It can be easily span far greater distance than 13ft and has been done countless times before. The weight here is tiny. The only important factor is that the stands can take it and be stable. For this, wind-up 'frotto's are perfectly safe.

trilite still cant be spanned this distance with this being hung on it. It is far to dangerous off just 2 points it will deffinitaly sag and even snap.

Steven

Sorry, but that's absolute nonsense. It can be easily span far greater distance than 13ft and has been done countless times before.

My appologies I was being a pleb I thought I had read 13m, which you wouldn't do. Even so please do take height into account

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Remember also that not all three tube truss is "Tri-lite" TM. Any other three tube truss may be weaker or stronger -even if it is a look -alike.

The truss in question is tri-lite, which is why I said tri-lite instead of trussing.

Nic, you say more than one piece of tri-lite; I asume this is becuase one piece would not support the weight? And you think manfrottos would be the best bet? Looking on the hire site, these can take up to 30KG and are £25 a week each. However, I notice there are some Ref 44 stands which can apparently take up to 40KG each and are £6 a week. Would you still say I'm better off going for the manfrottos?

I said more than one piece because I have never seen a single section of that length. I very much doubt a hire company would have such a thing. But that's not a problem of course.

The trilite I'm thinking of is the common 2" tube type here: http://www.opti-kinetics.com/content/view/108/133/ although the 1" stuff still is more than capable for your requirements.

Check the loading charts for triangular at 4m span. You have max loadings for uniform distribution, single point and the weight of the truss itself.

This is the sort of stand I would expect to use. Max load at minimum elevation 45Kg ea. These are industry standard and IMO the wind-up capability is essential for raising up.

Thanks, Nick.

I shall look into weight and do some weight calculations very shortly. Also as a side note - what's the difference between tri-lite and slick lightbeam trussing as the hire company have both, at the same price, but the only thing I can see different are the lengths.

Thanks guys!

Also as a side note - what's the difference between tri-lite and slick lightbeam trussing

Manufacturer's websites are a good place to find this kind of info. Trilite is made by Opti-kinetics - details here. Slick are part of the Total Solutions Group (whose website is so horribly piss poor that I can't navigate it at all with this browser, so can't give you a more direct link to what you're looking for, soz).

Archived