Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines

Micken

How did you get your criminal record check done? Who do you contact in order to do this?
You can't.

It's impossible to do a CRB check on yourself, it has to be done by your employer.

So either the agency or the cruise line have to do it - you don't need to do anything apart from fill out a form if they send you one.

They probably won't bother though - it's harder to get a C1/D visa than to get a clean CRB.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's incorrect.

It is possible to get your own criminal record check, and is in fact compulsory for you to do so and then supply to the appropriate authorities when applying for a substantive visa for many countries. The URL to apply for this was supplied in an earlier post.

That's not a CRB, it's a Police Certificate, a trial approach to immigration visa checks like the Green Card.

It's only relevant to Visa applications, not employers - as specifically noted on the linked website.

That's not a CRB, it's a Police Certificate, a trial approach to immigration visa checks like the Green Card.

It's only relevant to Visa applications, not employers - as specifically noted on the linked website.

I think you're confusing the issue. The URL I provided is what's needed in this case.

Kopy! Is this Royal Holloway Kopy? You're in Oz?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've have accepted a job with Royal Caribbean as Technical Stage Staff. I was wondering if there's anyone here who can give me some real insight into that position? I was informed by my hiring agent that Royal Caribbean does not have an official "job description" available for technical stage staff so I don't really know what my responsibilities will be.

After doing some digging around the internet (and through this thread), it looks like there are only 8 ships which hire that position (voyager & freedom class), so I guess it may be a while before I get that call. Here are some questions I have for anyone who has held this position before or who is very familiar with it:

How many TSS are usually onboard a ship?

What sort of responsibilities does a TSS have?

What is the difference between "stage staff" and "technical stage staff"?

What sort of hours should I expect to work each day?

How long does it typically take to receive a ship assignment?

What are the opportunities for promotion like? What do they look for and how long does it take?

Do you get assigned to mostly one venue or work between a few (IE. theatre and studio B) equally?

I'd be very grateful to anyone who can answer these questions for me, and I'm sure eventually I'll think of more but if I get lots of information then perhaps many of my other questions will be answered before I ask them :mellow:. I accepted the job in April but my earliest available date to work was the beginning of June so even though I've been really excited about this for a couple months, I've really only been waiting for "the call" for a few weeks now.

Thanks very much in advance for any advice or knowledge on this subject

Ryan

Hi All,

I've have accepted a job with Royal Caribbean as Technical Stage Staff. I was wondering if there's anyone here who can give me some real insight into that position? I was informed by my hiring agent that Royal Caribbean does not have an official "job description" available for technical stage staff so I don't really know what my responsibilities will be.

The hiring partner is talking out of their rear end.

The TSS PD is part of the SS PD at the bottom of the second page "VY and FR Class Vessels (Supplemental pay applies as Technical Stage Staff)" - it adds two clauses about Ice Makes and one saying that you will "Participate in the assembly and disassembly of equiptment and props for all shows, activities and events in St. B, Main Theatre, Royal Prom. and other public areas as needed" (to cover the addition of the RP and St. B as well as the added importance placed on the public areas)

How many TSS are usually onboard a ship?

What sort of responsibilities does a TSS have?

To put it frankly - to do what the PM tells them and what is written on their track sheets. Ask your HP for the PD of stage staff (it is also on http://www.royalcaribbeanproductions.com website)

What is the difference between "stage staff" and "technical stage staff"?

Half a stripe, the class of ship they are on and the pay packet at the end of the month. If you are on Vy or Fr class, you are technical stage staff. There is more work on the bigger ships. It is a change of title to clear up the base salary situation.

What sort of hours should I expect to work each day?

Depends - 6 to 8 average though. Roughly 230 to 250 hours a month.

How long does it typically take to receive a ship assignment?

Depends on what they need. Positions are filled on an as needed basis - they will be handing out assignments when the Oasis takeout crew starts leaving for pre-Oasis holidays in the coming months. There are three venues which will need filling with stage staff there, most of which are coming from FR class ships, meaning that they will need 10 or 11 stage staff to fill positions on FR and VY class ships.

What are the opportunities for promotion like? What do they look for and how long does it take?

It depends largely on you and on your PM. Generally they will not promote within 1 year, unless there are exceptional circumstances, or you prove yourself exceptionally adept.

Do you get assigned to mostly one venue or work between a few (IE. theatre and studio B) equally?

All staff are assigned to either St. B or to the theatre. That said, you may be required to do jobs in the other venue as well (ie learning a track to hand it over to the replacement, maning the pit in the theatre, an ice make if necessary)

The "Radiance" class (4 ships) also has the technical stage staff position. Only 4 staff per ship though.

True, but that was a recent thing - the PD's for Stage Staff have not been updated in a LONG while (since Freedom)... and no StudioB and promenade means that the technical stage staff addendums do not apply to RD Technical Stage Staff.

I think they've had technical stage staff on Radiance class since Radiance came out. They certainly had them when I was last on that class (2006), before Freedom launched. They certainly have 'less' to do (but then again there's less off them), but they get paid the same. I think it's considered a little bit of a cushy number comparatively speaking.

Riggers have an even more cushy number on Radiance class ships.

I had a feeling that the Radiance class also had this position. Good to know that there are 16 more potential spots for me in the next few months :unsure:.

I actually read Bryson's blog a few months ago when I was getting started sending out resumes to cruise lines. I was just wondering if there was any more information that would be useful for me to know that is specific to Royal Caribbean. I'm starting to see that there isn't really much difference except when it comes to Studio B. Hopefully I'll be on my way sooner rather than later, I can't wait to get started.

Thanks to all who have provided info for me, it is much appreciated since all I can do for the time being is wait patiently and ask questions.

Ryan

Archived