Apprenticeships, are there such things for this industry?

Aaron-Hill07

It's coming to the time of year when I have to be making decisions about college/work and all the rest of it and I've been doing a lot of thinking recently about what direction to go in.

I know that experience is the key in this industry and nothing can teach you the ropes better than actually doing it, I'm hoping to go into the industry as a career as a lighting technician for example. I have got some experience doing it in the past, but I am very aware that it is nowhere near enough to be able to get a job straight away.

I'm in the position where I have a place in a few colleges doing music related courses (Music Technology & Music Performance) as I am a musician myself.

BUT I have been thinking, is there anywhere that offers apprenticeships and if so, where? I believe apprenticeships are a great way to go as your getting the experience and learning at the same time which is the perfect situation for me as that's the way I learn best, I can't stand sitting in classrooms learning about it for two years then coming out the other end with no experience actually doing what I've learnt.

So, the question is do you guys/girls know any companies that offer apprenticeships/trainee positions or do you offer them yourselves?

Thanks for taking the time to read this & I appreciate any help/guidance you will hopefully give me!

They are trainee technician posts (or there have been, they may now have been axed because of the 'credit crunch') in some venues but you may have to move. Scour The Stage (www.thestage.co.uk) for job information. Write a personal statement and get careers people to read it.

Badger the local venue for casual work. You may not hear from them for ages, but when that phone call comes drop everything and run. Often times the phone will only ring once!

Consider going to college and doing a City & Guilds 2330 in Electricial Installation. It will take 3 years but the bonus is you will have a trade as well as helping out in your vocation. Good maths skills are necessary.

Go to a good drama school where they will work you to death for 2 years. You will learn most of what you need. Personally I would stay away from Lighting Design degrees etc because of the limited practical experience.

Thanks for that information there, preferably I'm looking to go into a full time apprenticeship and try to gain courses as I go for example avolites pearl courses and working at height etc...

I will have a look around thestage.co.uk as it does look good.

Thanks for the help so far

Hi

Have a look at yor local collages, or even out of your area. There are courses that run BTEC's in production arts (technical) that give you a insight into the technical side of theatre, depending how the course is run this should be a very pratical course (rigging, lighting, set construction, desighn etc) giving you the opportunity to undertake tasks that would be undertaken by professionals. This is a very practical course with long hours etc. You will still need to undertake a fair amount of paper work to back up your pratical skills. If you do find a course like this it will set you up to go strait into the industry or walk into universities.

I would strongly recommend you to join a technical course it has not donenme any harm

Hope this helps

Brad

I have looked around local colleges and there aren't any that provide those courses at all, there is one college, but its 2 hours away on the train and the facilities they have aren't great.

Apprenticeships/jobs are definately the way I want to go if available

There will have to be some element of college involved in your apprenticeship for it to be a "proper" apprenticeship - recognised by the Learning and Skills Council.

Only last week did my certificates turn up for my advanced apprenticeship in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. Depending on the direction you're wanting to go, I'd recommend the course I took for being a noiseboy, and possibly a purely electrical qualification for being a lampie.

As a rule of thumb, you'll be employed by a company (nothing wrong with this not being a theatrical company - serve your apprenticeship and then move if there isn't a theatrical company available) and will complete your NVQ (2 or 3 depending on advanced or standard apprenticeship) with them. You'll then go on block or day release to a local college to complete the technical certificate side of things.

It isn't as easy as watching somebody work, learning from them and then saying you've been an apprentice if you're going to do it properly. It certainly isn't an easy option (my day release at college is a 12 hour day, not including travelling).

It is however, great to be paid a salary and have your fees paid for you.

I know that DanceCity in Newcastle Upon Tyne operates a training scheme (as I was involved in setting it up.) I understand that some of the other venues in Newcastle do the same. As far as I'm aware, the positions are currently filled, but I think they open up periodically. I'm 98% sure they advertise them in the Stage when they come available.

If you go down the elec/electronic route, I'd strongly advise looking to a company that will pay for your HNC as well as your ONC. The ONC is the compulsory part of the apprenticeship, but the HNC follows on from it and goes a fair bit further. It's well worth it from their point of view as well as your own.

Have a think about how the work will affect any amateur theatre work you do. My 12 hour day once a week means I can nevr commit to a full run of a show. Doesn't half get in the way. But.... it's only for 4 years (or 2 if you don't do HNC).

Warehouse trainees

We are looking for enthusiastic trainees to work in our warehouse. Must be committed, hard working, conscientious and willing to learn. Experience of a warehouse environment would be beneficial.

The general hours of work for trainees are 37.5 hours per week Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.30pm and 9.30am to 6pm.

This is from White Light, I know its a bit out of your way, but, it's a great stepping stone, I know its just warehouse work. but once you set a good example you could move onto production there, White Light are a great bunch of people and I know for a fact that they are dedicated to provide help to eager learners.

White Light Info

ToshiBoy - Thanks a lot for that, I have contacted whitelight about that position already, I don't mind working for warehouse until I have the knowledge to move onwards and upwards, The only thing I think may be an issue is my age,

Would they take me on at the age of 16? I'm definately eager to learn and I would make every effort I could!

Would they take me on at the age of 16? I'm definitely eager to learn and I would make every effort I could!
In the case of Whitelight, Doubtful I'm afraid.. Most places as you probably know will only employ someone over the age of 18, for all the usual H&S/employment of minors regs. I don't think you can even start casual'ing till your 18 (well not anymore :blink:).

Obviously, be sure you do tell them how old you are as honesty is definitely better than them finding out later that your not 18+! They might make an exception to the usual 18 to work rule if you can convince them your worth the hassle (namely paperwork!).

The thing to remember is, the whole apprenticeship idea (well at least the ones floating around these days) are for more normal trade jobs; sparks, plumber, carpenter, etc. You can't just get/do one in any field..

Personally I'd say if there's no colleges doing technical theatre in your area, then the next best steps a C&G. From what I've seen, having 2330 definitely makes you more employable in all sectors of this industry and allows you to work in others..

Good luck. T

Hi

Have a look at yor local collages, or even out of your area. There are courses that run BTEC's in production arts (technical) that give you a insight into the technical side of theatre, depending how the course is run this should be a very pratical course (rigging, lighting, set construction, desighn etc) giving you the opportunity to undertake tasks that would be undertaken by professionals. This is a very practical course with long hours etc. You will still need to undertake a fair amount of paper work to back up your pratical skills. If you do find a course like this it will set you up to go strait into the industry or walk into universities.

I would strongly recommend you to join a technical course it has not donenme any harm

Hope this helps

Brad

The course bradley is on about here is a ND Production Arts there is within the Production Arts section an alteration of courses Technical means you do not do much Design Work where-as Production Arts you cover the entire syllabus, a new course has just been "created" within my college (Barnsley College) and it is an Apprenticeship, you are classed as staff and paid 4 days of the week and then 1 day you are a Student, this is only given to people who are capable of setting up equipment on their own as they are classed as Technical Teaching Assistants.

Hope this helps you out abit more. look at Edexcel there Production Arts course is really good (which myself and Bradley are on at the moment)

Archived