Apprenticeships, are there such things for this industry?

Aaron-Hill07

There will have to be some element of college involved in your apprenticeship for it to be a "proper" apprenticeship - recognised by the Learning and Skills Council.

Only last week did my certificates turn up for my advanced apprenticeship in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. Depending on the direction you're wanting to go, I'd recommend the course I took for being a noiseboy, and possibly a purely electrical qualification for being a lampie.

As a rule of thumb, you'll be employed by a company (nothing wrong with this not being a theatrical company - serve your apprenticeship and then move if there isn't a theatrical company available) and will complete your NVQ (2 or 3 depending on advanced or standard apprenticeship) with them. You'll then go on block or day release to a local college to complete the technical certificate side of things.

It isn't as easy as watching somebody work, learning from them and then saying you've been an apprentice if you're going to do it properly. It certainly isn't an easy option (my day release at college is a 12 hour day, not including travelling).

It is however, great to be paid a salary and have your fees paid for you.

You may get used to 12 hour days if you want to work in this game, I average about 14 hours a day.. you get used to it.. Some days maybe 20 hours, depends on whats on and what needs turned around for the next gig.. Just thought would give you a heads up :)

I average about 14 hours a day.. you get used to it.. Some days maybe 20 hours, depends on whats on and what needs turned around for the next gig
And in this day and age, people need to start making sure they're paid appropriately for any +12hour days. Be that fixed overtime amount on top of they're day rate, or the much more usual way of doing things.. up to 6hours over and its 1.5day anything over 6 more hours and its into double day!

Far to often I'm seeing people getting swindled on money they're owed.. oh it was only an extra hour and a half :o... Errr, half an hours the most grace I ever give and thats to my favourite clients.

Anyways, enough ranting about money for tonight.. specially in the next gen section!

T

Archived