Sword Fighting

andpuds

We're staging a production of 3 Musketeers and I was wondering if anyone knew about and specific regs for sword fighting. I've checked the HSE website and can't find anything more than the standard fight regs,

Any help anyone?

If you want to have sword play you'll need a qualified fight director who should be able to advise you of the relevant regulations and what control measure you need to take.

Equity keep a register of fight directors - phone them on 020 7379 6000 and talk to the theatre / variety desk. (I think it's option 4 on the autoreceptionist). If Equity members are involved in a production with "combat" scenes, the rule is that a registered fight director must be employed.

Im not entirley sure of the details but when my brother-in-law did 'The Scottich play' with the Oxford Shakespere Company they had a weekend of combat training. How to fight both armed (swords) and hand to hand im not entirley sure but I think they also did something with words and for injured etc. But I do know that all the fights were scripted.

We staged the Three Musketeers a couple of years ago, and are doing Treasure Island this summer. We get a professional fight director to come in and choreograph all the fights. The fights look a lot better for it and have the advantage of being safe! Let me know if you want me to send you his contact details.

Also remember that the swords will be classed as offensive weapons. Dont take them near a public place unless they are cased. Someone was rehearsing a sword fight in a London park (!!! ) and was arrestedand the swords confiscated cos members of the public complained about men fighting to the .... with swords in a park.

• 2 weeks later...
No the legal limit is "offensive" and if someone complains its big enough.

Yup, I was once cautioned by a bored police officer for walking to the pub with an uncased pool cue. Anything that looks vaguely weaponlike in a public place has a tendancy not to impress!!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived