Events- School Prom

adam_cookson

OK..................

Are they bringing in their own technicians? Their own, (self contained)

And are these technicians also working for free?

Are they presently on tour? ermm dont know (the guy who I talk to the lead singer) wants to do the gig there is lots of ins and outs of it

Not at all sure what you mean there - clarify?

Have you seen a copy of their rider(s)? they bring it all them selves they dont want anything but bottled water
What? Sorry, but riders often cover FAR more than their need for bottled water! It should (and will if they're any good) tell you what technical facilities are required, and quite often other things (LIKE security etc).

I doubt any half-decent band would even do a freebie without a full copy of their rider being sent in advance!

Not having had any direct experience in booking bands for school proms, I'd ask if this is something that's done often? depends where your from and what your like, I have been asked to return to my old school to put an my super sweet 16th MTV show twist to things
Sorry - that hasn't really answered my question - which was in a way rather an open one to students everywhere...

Do top 20 bands often play for school proms?

I'm with the others, however, on your crowd control issues. £200 is probably going to get you a max of two (if that) properly trained/experienced bodies on the floor for the event, which for anything bigger than a local boy band isn't going to cut the mustard!

A mate doing you a favour is also unlikely to suffice either, I'm afraid, unless he happens to run a successful crowd management company, and is going to pay his employees from his own pocket as that favour...

hes done open air events previouslly the guys who he uses are fully SIA trained, prices are cheaper in Yorkshire compared to London etc, therefore security is coverd the lead singer of the band is happy with whats been provded (security wise)

Hmmm...

But is this his main business then? providing gig security/control?

How many people is he going to commit to?

dont be worried :** laughs out loud **:

To be honest, I am still a little concerned....

the idea of this discussion was for other IDEAS for the Carnival Themed prom eg lighting effects etc cloths decor

Er, I don't think you mentioned anything about the above so far....

:** laughs out loud **:

the idea of this discussion was for other IDEAS for the Carnival Themed prom eg lighting effects etc cloths decor

read the original post

Dear, All

Mods is there any chance there can be another section added for Events as more Technicians are becoming more involved in Live Events etc?

Also, got a Prom lined up for July time the Theme is Carnival, and really want to "umph" it out this year, we are hopefully getting a High profiled Band to perform (cannot name for legal reasons) however they are highly popular and extremely talented, I have already being budgeting for Security and have found a good deal with a friend, £200 for SIA Trained door staff for the event, and now after some things which would make it that extra bit special if anyone has any ideas please let me know

now in which bit of that paragraph did I ask you to go on about the band I said the band was sorted which it is security is sorted and now I want to umph it out so im asking for ideas to make it abit more special that above is the original post ????

Apologies for us all picking up on some major issues with your current ideas and not giving you other ideas. I'm sure we'll all try to be less helpful in future. It appears that 99% of this is about the band and the other 1% is about some ideas for a carnival theme.

That sort of thing isn't my forte, I'm happy to admit that, however the RIGHT person can sort that out in half a day, I believe it is the least of your worries.

What I find difficult to believe (where the term "difficult to believe" is like saying this car will be good as new with a bottle of t-cut and the manufacturers supplied touch up pen) is that said band which isn't the Wombles, is going to arrive, setup a full PA to their requirements, lighting to their requirements, a stage, to their requirements, and provide crew and engineers for free. Without asking about load-in dimensions and acess, power supply data, rigging point data, and room dimensions. Is this the top 20 band or "Denim"?*

*No offense John, you'd probably do a better job and there's probably more chance of you doing the gig. Not for free though.

Edit to add as you replied....... why bloody mention the band then and provide us with a 10:1 ratio of stuff that's unimportant : stuff you want answering?

read the original post

Dear, All

Mods is there any chance there can be another section added for Events as more Technicians are becoming more involved in Live Events etc?

Also, got a Prom lined up for July time the Theme is Carnival, and really want to "umph" it out this year, we are hopefully getting a High profiled Band to perform (cannot name for legal reasons) however they are highly popular and extremely talented, I have already being budgeting for Security and have found a good deal with a friend, £200 for SIA Trained door staff for the event, and now after some things which would make it that extra bit special if anyone has any ideas please let me know

now in which bit of that paragraph did I ask you to go on about the band I said the band was sorted which it is security is sorted and now I want to umph it out so im asking for ideas to make it abit more special that above is the original post ????

Well. with all due respect Adam, there wasn't a specific question anywhere in that OP.

And if your main intent was to ask about 'extra umph' in the lighting and set design areas, then maybe that should have been the prominence in the original post - not the fact that you MAY have a headlining band, nor the fact that you have a friendly security guy in to cover that side.

You mention it here, it'll get discussed.

I agree with the others a bit here. It may help if you inform us exactly what you are hoping to find out by this post.

I'm fairly confused what the theme is, budget, venue and just generally I think that more information is neccesary!

I think by doing that, you'll get a lot more constructive help as to new things that can make the prom have that extra 'umph'.

Sorry - that hasn't really answered my question - which was in a way rather an open one to students everywhere...

If you're paying them....

It's certainly not hard to book 'high profile' (I use the quotes because top 20 is really fairly meaningless given the trash that can end up there when nobody is buying singles) groups for that kind of event, assuming the money is there. Of course, it's normally well beyond the budget of any school (it's something I'd see a lot for the college/uni crowd, particularly getting hold of a band that would have been big when your audience was going to their own school dances).

On the other hand, everything in this thread reeks of 'you're going to get screwed', and frankly perhaps you deserve it. Rob's hit the nail on the head here.

On the other hand, everything in this thread reeks of 'you're going to get screwed', and frankly perhaps you deserve it. Rob's hit the nail on the head here.

Generally, no, top 20 bands wouldn't play at school proms, due to all the HUGE issues that everyone else has pointed out. We looked for a local band for an event this year, for a prom, and they wanted stupid money, coupled with equally stupid requirments. Therefore, I think this top 20 deal, as everyone else has pointed out, is going to have a huge loophole in it somewhere.

If the band turn up on your evening, under the impression that they are going to get the same as they do on tour (which might not be much, but I should imagine a lot more than any school could offer), and they get nothing short of a couple of kids in a school hall waiting for them, they would turn straight round and be out of the door.

Moderation: We're going to close this one as it has wandered a long way off what was likely a flawed topic in the first place. In answer to the original question, it's unlikely that we need an "Events" forum. Many (perhaps most) BR professional members work on what could loosely be termed "events" but these can be broken down into our normal categories of "Lighting", "Sound", "Sets and Props", "Rigging" and so on. On the other hand, if you want to talk about a school prom, then The Next Generation is the place for it.

As for this topic, if you wish to repost (in TNG) a question along the lines of "do you have any suggestion of things we could do at a school prom with the theme of Carnival" then feel free. However, if you wish to brag that you MAY have a headline band coming to play, that's not so appropriate and you've seen the reaction. If and when you confirm the band and have a genuine, specific question or two, feel free. However, too many people have heard too many "should have, could have, might be" posts about school events.

Archived