Events- School Prom

adam_cookson

Dear, All

Mods is there any chance there can be another section added for Events as more Technicians are becoming more involved in Live Events etc?

Also, got a Prom lined up for July time the Theme is Carnival, and really want to "umph" it out this year, we are hopefully getting a High profiled Band to perform (cannot name for legal reasons) however they are highly popular and extremely talented, I have already being budgeting for Security and have found a good deal with a friend, £200 for SIA Trained door staff for the event, and now after some things which would make it that extra bit special if anyone has any ideas please let me know

Cheers

Adam

Depending on how high profile the act is (by high profile, for all we know you might mean they've played at the local pub a fair few times), you may need to think a lot more seriously about crowd management. If you're talking about a top 40 act or similar, you really should be contacting a crowd management company such as ShowSec. Do not underestimate the controls that will need to be put in place to ensure the event goes well. You might quite easily need 20 stewards, and £200 is going to get you absolutely nowhere. Also, if you have a big name act in, sourcing security "from a mate" is not the way to do it. Can you give us any indication of the level of popularity/success of the act? Don't need a name here, just list acts of similar standing.

Moderation: I've moved this into TNG as it's a school event - but regarding the request for a section for posts like this - events? I'm not sure there's a need, as usually the questions posed suggest one of the existing areas? You are asking for suggestions about 'things' to make it special - so not really sure which direction it's going.

From experience, your teachers are going to be flumoxed when they start to talk to the High Profile band's management about what they need - and find out the costs.

Hi thanks for your reply, the bit about my mate means hes done it a lot cheaper and I am getting more for my money, hes done open air events etc before and crowd management, (sorry I didn't add that bit)

The act has had a top 5 Chart Album,

and singles at the below chart places

UK #8,

UK Indie #1

UK #16,

UK Indie #1

UK Indie #1

Had UK tours, played Glastonbury, recently headlined a National organizations concert

I think that is all I can give on the Band.

Acts that I feel are similar are Kaiser Chiefs, Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand etc

Thanks for any Help

Adam

Email me at info@adamcookson.co.uk

By the sounds of it mate, your playing with some big fish now. Bands that are that high up are likely to be as you say very popular. And it will certainly not be just a 'school prom', you have to consider the legal and health and safety aspects of the whole thing too. It's not simply 'mate can I borrow you and a few of your doorstaff to do security at the prom?'.

You really need to get in conversation with a bigger security company who do it as a full time job, they will do a far better job of it and will be fully covered against the legal side.

And by saying things that will make it more 'special', in what regards do you mean this? as in pyrotechnics? certain lighting/sound? a bit more detail would help mate

Hmmm...

I'm not sure, but I suspect I'm not the only one who's maybe a little concerned (if indeed not a little sceptical) about this event you're describing.

So - we're talking about a band with a couple of top 20 UK hits?

With, presumably, fully professional management?

Are they bringing in their own technicians?

Are they presently on tour?

Have you seen a copy of their rider(s)?

Not having had any direct experience in booking bands for school proms, I'd ask if this is something that's done often?

Presumably at some stage, the 'legal restrictions' preventing publication of which band it is will be lifted (as I'm sure the school would want to/need to capitalise on their presence to sell tickets to students...?)?

I'm with the others, however, on your crowd control issues. £200 is probably going to get you a max of two (if that) properly trained/experienced bodies on the floor for the event, which for anything bigger than a local boy band isn't going to cut the mustard!

A mate doing you a favour is also unlikely to suffice either, I'm afraid, unless he happens to run a successful crowd management company, and is going to pay his employees from his own pocket as that favour...

You pays peanuts, .....

I would have thought the band would have had very specific requirements regarding security, lighting, sound & effects. More than likely everything in fact that is Related to a gig they are booked to perform at.

If just one thing isn't to the liking of the band or managers then there is more than likely a clause in the contract stating that they are able to back out at any time and keep the money.

You are treading on very thin ice with large bands.

You need to be very careful.

Josh

Hmmm... ™

I'm not sure, but I suspect I'm not the only one who's maybe a little concerned (if indeed not a little sceptical) about this event you're describing.

So - we're talking about a band with a couple of top 20 UK hits? yes

With, presumably, fully professional management? the artiste has full control over his band and only has a Booking agent

Are they bringing in their own technicians? Their own, (self contained)

Are they presently on tour? ermm dont know (the guy who I talk to the lead singer) wants to do the gig there is lots of ins and outs of it

Have you seen a copy of their rider(s)? they bring it all them selves they dont want anything but bottled water

Not having had any direct experience in booking bands for school proms, I'd ask if this is something that's done often? depends where your from and what your like, I have been asked to return to my old school to put an my super sweet 16th MTV show twist to things

Presumably at some stage, the 'legal restrictions' preventing publication of which band it is will be lifted (as I'm sure the school would want to/need to capitalise on their presence to sell tickets to students...?)? no the school doesnt need to revile the idenity of the band at all last year no body knew a band was playing and we sold the entire of the tickets

I'm with the others, however, on your crowd control issues. £200 is probably going to get you a max of two (if that) properly trained/experienced bodies on the floor for the event, which for anything bigger than a local boy band isn't going to cut the mustard!

A mate doing you a favour is also unlikely to suffice either, I'm afraid, unless he happens to run a successful crowd management company, and is going to pay his employees from his own pocket as that favour...

hes done open air events previouslly the guys who he uses are fully SIA trained, prices are cheaper in Yorkshire compared to London etc, therefore security is coverd the lead singer of the band is happy with whats been provded (security wise)

dont be worried :** laughs out loud **:

Everything underlined I have added to explain each part

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

oh did I mention Their playing for free :-)

Very true, a lot of big bands these days have a big ask/want of equipment and services. I know that bands such as kings of leon take a lot of equipment on tour with them such as lighting consoles etc.

I take it, you have directly spoken to the band about that?

Very true, a lot of big bands these days have a big ask/want of equipment and services. I know that bands such as kings of leon take a lot of equipment on tour with them such as lighting consoles etc.

I take it, you have directly spoken to the band about that?

as just mentioned yes, I am in direct contact with the band via email and phone, they are playing for free, they want nothing but water, they are bringing everything them self, yes hard to believe but true

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

I have a very good idea who this band is.

(Free album in the Mail earlier in the year)

If it is who I think it is you are going to need a LOT of security to protect from screeming girls more than anything else.

Josh

PM me who you think it is or email me at info@adamcookson.co.uk

Archived