Colours

the kid

Well im guessing that it would be to much hassle to change the whole system. and then after a few years they will find more colours that will meen that the entire system will have to change again.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I think a unified system just wouldn't work! Some companies have colours only they produce, or that are slightly different to the next companies 'Medium Blue' so this would probably end up causing confusion!

Stu

Personally I think a unified system just wouldn't work! Some companies have colours only they produce, or that are slightly different to the next companies 'Medium Blue' so this would probably end up causing confusion!

Stu

Fair point Stu ;)

I guess a lot of people will generally use one manufacturer and therefore get to know a particular range and set of numbers quite well ..

... still curious to know how Bastard Amber got it's name :huh:

Not just Bastard Amber! There's Bastard Pink as well for some reason.

I do wonder what the designer was taking when (s)he came up with some of the names.

Surprise Peach indeed!

I like Peacock Blue (L115) though. Eeeeevilll

THis is not the offical answer but im guessing it's an amber and it was a bastard to make

bastard

n.

A child born out of wedlock.

Something that is of irregular, inferior, or dubious origin.

Slang. A person, especially one who is held to be mean or disagreeable.

adj.

Born of unwed parents; illegitimate.

Not genuine; spurious: a bastard style of architecture.

Resembling a known kind or species but not truly such.

so I'm willing to bet it has a dubious origin but resembles amber.

yeh but bastard pink is a weird colour.

Well im guessing that it would be to much hassle to change the whole system. and then after a few years they will find more colours that will meen that the entire system will have to change again.

The only way would be to adopt a system that was completely flexible where the number described the components of the colour. Something like 'Colour Dimensions' in the paint/fabric/interior decor field.

I'm sure the whole Bastard Amber has been done on here before, so have a see if it comes up in a search!

I'm reasonably sure it had something to do with the fact the colour shouldn't be Amber from the manufacturing etc but it is. But don't quote me on this!

I think to be honest, I think most people/venue have a favourite range, and therefore remember the names/colours of that one. I personally know the Lee range because it's what I use every day, with a slight remberance of Rosco Supergel. I like GAM gel, but it's not really suitable for a venue stock as 95% tours spec Lee....

Stu

The only way would be to adopt a system that was completely flexible where the number described the components of the colour. Something like 'Colour Dimensions' in the paint/fabric/interior decor field.

Do you meen like the RGB system ?

An LD friend of mine had their first Child, and named it Indigo Violet, or something along that line. Numerous jokes were made about the next one being called Bastard Amber.....

I supposed that if they named the child after all the colours of the rainbow in order, he might be called ROY for short :huh:

Do you meen like the RGB system ?

You could do it a number of ways...

RGB

XYZ

xy

CMY

YIQ

HSV

HLS

HVC

and those are just the ones I can remember :huh:

Brian, in a TLA mood.

I've got a swatch that I picked up from a trade show years ago from a company called Apollo Gel (American) They have some of the best names I've ever seen for colours and I quote:

Luscious Lilac, Whispering Lavender, Purple Mist, Bodacious Blueberry, Pilsner Yellow and my personal favourite: Fatherless Amber :huh:

Archived