What are these items?

scottc

I actually think its a fair question even for an experienced person, different people from different backgrounds refer to things by different names

I am experienced (20 years plus) and whilst I always refer to tecpro communication system as "talkback" I have done gigs with other equally experienced people who have no idea what I'm talking about as they have always called it "coms" and other people who thought of talkback as something else entirely.

I once asked another experienced person for a box of C hangers (meaning double ended hook clamps for hanging bars of 6 parcans off truss) I was quite suprised when I opened the box of colour changers (scrollers to me!) to fit my parcans which I couldnt hang up

have you ever tried to translate between an american rigger and a german lampy?

some people (me included) actually find searching the internet to find things very difficult (possibly due to not having the right words to hand) I can spend 2 hours plus searching for something and failing, 1 post on a forum and 5 minutes latter there is exactly what I'm looking for

also different people with different experience can offer different advice, for instance the advice that the 650w starlight is a missspelling of CCT starlette I would take with a pinch of salt despite the poster also being experienced, I think you'll find that the starlette was CCT's 1000w range and the minuette was their 500/650w range

(edited to fix some of the bad spelling)

Pinch of salt? I suspect you might well find that many schools (certainly in the east of england, in the old Ancient Lights catchment) had Starlettes running 650W lamps, other Starlette users had 1 or 1.2Ks fitted - and were better than Minuettes because of the bigger lens. Incidentally - what do you think a Starlight is likely to be?

Perhaps if ianl had read the post, he'd realise the point was that to get results from a search you first need the words to search for, but then need underlying basic knowledge to interpret the results.

We're not talking about misinterpretation of jargon here - so your C hangers would have been met with a blank stare from me too. Jargon tends to be prone to misunderstanding, but searching for spotllight, which is perhaps not the correct word does work, while searching for a lamp brings up the wrong info.

I can't tell what experience ianl has because his profile doesn't even have a full name - something I'm sure he'll put right to comply with the rules he agreed to when he joined.

Having a dig at another member is fine by me - I can take it, but I ignore it when it's anonymous - as this one is.

I rather felt we'd all been quite helpful in this topic - taking things much further than usually happens.

Paul

Let us know the venue, it's highly likely someone here has worked there or knows someone else who has.

I wouldn't have thought it's highly likely that lots of people have run events in his local village hall!

I'd disagree. We've got a huge number of members here, mostly UK-based, and I'd guess that there's a very high probability that someone has been in his venue before. To give an example, I've probably got some knowledge of virtually every village hall, community centre, theatre etc within about 15-20 miles of where I live. This is not unusual.

(certainly in the east of england, in the old Ancient Lights catchment) had Starlettes running 650W lamps, other Starlette users had 1 or 1.2Ks fitted -

eh - when I was there - 1989 - 1991 ish we were Strand dealers and pushed out Preludes and Cantatas to schools. (though we shifted Pulsar and Zero 88 dimmers and desks much to the annoyance of Strand)

edit for typo

Pinch of salt? I suspect you might well find that many schools (certainly in the east of england, in the old Ancient Lights catchment) had Starlettes running 650W lamps, other Starlette users had 1 or 1.2Ks fitted - and were better than Minuettes because of the bigger lens. Incidentally - what do you think a Starlight is likely to be?

ah, you learn something new every day, in many years of using them I never new that the T12 was a 650 w with a GX9.5 base

I'm sure I've heard of a starlight, just cant remember where, hence I didnt post what I thought it is

Perhaps if ianl had read the post, he'd realise the point was that to get results from a search you first need the words to search for, but then need underlying basic knowledge to interpret the results.

I thought that was my point, I'm not going to argue if you agree with me :)

I can't tell what experience ianl has because his profile doesn't even have a full name - something I'm sure he'll put right to comply with the rules he agreed to when he joined.

my apolagies at my oversight, I will fill in my complete name, I'm sure that will help identify how experienced I am ;)

Having a dig at another member is fine by me - I can take it, but I ignore it when it's anonymous - as this one is.

no dig intended, I was using it as an example of the differing opinions, different backgrounds, differences........

I rather felt we'd all been quite helpful in this topic - taking things much further than usually happens.

Paul

so did I actually, it appears that my post appeared negative when that was unintentional

I'd second going to look at the equipment if there's no better descriptions available - as pointed out previously there's not even any quantities listed there, and the touring lighting rig could be ANYTHING at all. Without a better idea of the kit you've got available it's going to be difficult to plan much at all!

I'm bored, so googling for 'beta pack lighting controllers' gives http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/recreation...rLendorHire.pdf - or in HTML form, http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:hAkTD...;cd=2&gl=uk - which would fit with the Scotland link.

HTH

PS Happy Christmas...

"Touring Lighting Rig - 1 - Audio Visual Equipment" reminds me of the inventory list held by my old employer, which contained gems such as "sound system", "pair speakers", and my favourite, "disco"...

Anyway, it occurs to me that while Paulears is probably right about the starlettes there surely must be some lantern out there called a starlight?

Anyway, it occurs to me that while Paulears is probably right about the starlettes there surely must be some lantern out there called a starlight?

We had the Chippendales in residence for a few months on the early-90s and the moving lights in the rig were Starlites, built by a company called TASCO, if my foggy memory is correct

In my opinion, the word 'starlight' for a lamp sounds like some cheapo amateur equipment.. but hey, maybe its just me who thinks that?

The OP last posted on December 16th and hasn't even logged-in to the forum since December 22nd. Perhaps we should wait for his return before speculating any further.

sounds like he's on some nice long holiday B-) ... or just forgotten about us :(

oh and...

talkback = :blink:

We had the Chippendales in residence for a few months on the early-90s and the moving lights in the rig were Starlites, built by a company called TASCO, if my foggy memory is correct

Good old Starlites, after every show you had to open them up and reseat the boards. Happy days.

Hi, (to the origional poster) If you are based arround edinburgh and we could arrange a time when I am free then I would be willing to come out to the venue and help to point you in the right direction of equipment that you will need to meet the requirements. I also am friends with the owner of an edinburgh based audio hire companie so might be able to get you a lower rate. ;)

PM me if you are interested / if you are in edinburgh.

Archived