Focusing or pointing?

Jerome

Hardly a brain numbing question yet it will settle a discussion I had the other day with someone, do you focus or point a par can? Is rotating the bulb actualy classed as focusing? I've worked on a few gigs where I've been told off for saying I was focusing a par can and then when I've said elsewhere that I have pointed them they've said it's focusing.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A par can produces an oval beam pattern. You rotate the lamp to align the oval beam pattern to how you want it.

This is neither focussing or pointing.

It is aligning the beam pattern for the effect you want. :( :D

Cheers

Gerry

A par can produces an oval beam pattern. You rotate the lamp to align the oval beam pattern to how you want it.

This is neither focussing or pointing.

It is aligning the beam pattern for the effect you want. :( :D

Cheers

Gerry

...however, of course, not all par bulbs produce an oval pattern. A CP60 produces an almost perfectly round beam, as does a CP95 for instance...

...however, of course, not all par bulbs produce an oval pattern. A CP60 produces an almost perfectly round beam, as does a CP95 for instance...

I am fully aware of that.

I was just trying to keep my reply simple. :( :D :D

Cheers

Gerry

The job is called Focusing, even if the rig has parcans in. You cant "focus" a fresnel but its still called focusing!.

LX crew have a late lunch so they can focus, Its never "do you mind having a late lunch so we can focus the profiles point the pars flood or mabe spot down the fresnels and line up the cyc floods"!

Its just focusing!

simple!

Pete.

focus the profiles point the pars flood or mabe spot down the fresnels and line up the cyc floods"!

Don't forget the "boshing", "blatting", "squirting", "tidging" plus "dooring", "hacking", "tweaking" and "the other side of sharp-ing". (Perhaps this should turn into a "Best of Focus Slang" thread).

As Pete says, the entire activity is still a "focus".

Don't forget the "boshing", "blatting", "squirting", "tidging" plus "dooring", "hacking", "tweaking" and "the other side of sharp-ing". (Perhaps this should turn into a "Best of Focus Slang" thread).

"up stage a tadge, no back a bit, split the diffrence!" "more blue", "Focus it on the brown side" "cut to the edge of the show floor!".

Its also worth noting that the act of positioning moving lights is also called focusing (focus groups) and some desks call the position pallet "focus"

pedant

Actually, I'd say that you CAN focus a fresnel...

Just because you can't focus into a sharp edged spot doesn't make it not so.

Moving the lamp in relation to the lens, as David says, IS adjusting the focus...

/pedant.

...but is focussing by definition the aquisition of either a sharp or soft image of light, which can only be achieved by moving a lense relative to another lense? Thus a fresnel cannot in this technical sense 'be focused' as it is the SIZE of the beam rather than the clarity that is manipulated?

From Google dictionary: Focus = maximum clarity or distinctness of an image rendered by an optical system; "in focus"; "out of focus"

Not looking for a shooting down here should I be wrong...am just voicing my understanding of term....

Greg

So, Greg, when a show you're working on has a session in the production schedule dedicated to "focussing", you tell the lighting designer that you're only able to adjust the edge of the profiles in the rig and not make any other position or size adjustments because that's not "focussing"?!

:rolleyes:

Archived