Focusing or pointing?

Jerome

I was led to belive that the X/Y position was actually refering to the movement of the head from a control point of view - and not the physical moving of the entire unit!!

Nope. The movement of the head is pan and tilt - altering just one of those moves the light beam in at least two, usually three, of the X/Y/Z axes. Notably, the Wholehog 2 did pioneer the plotting of moving lights using XYZ positioning rather than pan/tilt values, but it didn't seem to catch on as much as it might've done.

back to plotting

Oh, but are you sure you mean plotting? Because the dictionary definition of plotting is "to create a graphical representation of something" - and you're not drawing a picture of a lighting state, are you? What you're doing, to be strictly accurate, is recording a lighting state, so surely the sessions during which the lighting designer creates lighting states which are then stored by the board op should be called recording sessions, not plotting sessions.

See? Pointless arguments about the semantics of words which have been used perfectly adequately for many years to describe a particular component in the process of creating a piece of theatre are pretty much a waste of everyone's time. Now, haven't you got any coursework to do? :rolleyes:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, but are you sure you mean plotting? Because the dictionary definition of plotting is "to create a graphical representation of something" - and you're not drawing a picture of a lighting state, are you? What you're doing, to be strictly accurate, is recording a lighting state, so surely the sessions during which the lighting designer creates lighting states which are then stored by the board op should be called recording sessions, not plotting sessions.

Rubbish! Plot also means Plan or Contrive. (Or to make a secret plan - which may be more relevant :rolleyes: )

An operator may only be recording but the LD is most definitely plotting.

David

Why do lampies get hacked off when you call a lamp a bulb? As in "The bulb has gone in that PAR"

Because a bulb is something you plant in the ground!

A 'light bulb' on the other hand almost always specifically refers to an incandescent lamp, whereas 'lamp' refers to the replaceable component that produces light - be it incandescent, halogen, fluorescent, LED, discharge, carbon-arc or whatever. Semantics I know, and we all use one for the other now and again.

Also, while we're at it, a PAR is a lamp a Parcan is the unit containing it

Now, what about calling a lantern a 'light'?

Now, haven't you got any coursework to do? :P

Er, excuse me Mr, but your only 2 years older than me thankyou - and as LD I was "plotting" my own states into the desk.

I would kindly request you check ones profile before you make a comment like that.

Interesting discussion.

I would say focusing. However you are right, with a PAR it is just pointing, because you cant alter the beam etc.

I suppose the only reason I call it focusing is because its how I was introduced...

Just my thoughts

:P

Archived