Running Motors on Multicore

Glyn Edwards

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
as a rule (for people using power and control down one soca) we do not own breakins, only breakouts. That way no live plugs any point. some of our motor controllers are fitted with soca outs (made by Outboard Electronics). this is a very simple way of keeping it safer! also the whole point of the special 4pin yellows is that they can't be plugged into anything else. therefore making it safer too. Also as said, label the ends to remove even further confusion. We also have the rule of taping up soca plugs that are left connected to trusses etc, so that people wont find a soca lying around and plug it in assuming that it should just go somewhere!

have a word with ELP they use the small soca for their motor control. the only opertional niggle I have with multicore control is the pickles you use for local control. because power and control all go down the same cable you need to use a pickle with two tails. one to plug into the motor and one to plug into the feed. this is ok but when you have a rig of over 30 motors and you have to screw in and out 60+ connectors it get old very very quickly.

After digging around for a while I've found that the power connections seem to be fairly well defined, the control side not so well.

The table below shows the 'standard' I've now adopted for Socapex Fan-in/Out for Motor power and control for Lodestar Motors. It assumes that two multicores are used (one for power, one for control), that the multicore earths aren't commoned, it also takes into account the change from 3 pin to 4 pin 110V CEE form connectors.

Socapex -- CEE Form Conn. -- Core Colour -- Power (red)(2.5mm Core) -- Control (yel)(1.5mm Core)

1 -- Conn 1 R1 -- Bn -- Motor 1 L1 -- Motor 1 Up

2 -- Conn 1 S2 -- Bk -- Motor 1 L2 -- Motor 1 Dwn

3 -- Conn 1 T3 -- Bl -- Motor 1 L3 -- Motor 1 Feed

4 -- Conn 2 R1 -- Bn -- Motor 2 L1 -- Motor 2 Up

5 -- Conn 2 S2 -- Bk -- Motor 2 L2 -- Motor 2 Dwn

6 -- Conn 2 T3 -- Bl -- Motor 2 L3 -- Motor 2 Feed

7 -- Conn 3 R1 -- Bn -- Motor 3 L1 -- Motor 3 Up

8 -- Conn 3 S2 -- Bk -- Motor 3 L2 -- Motor 3 Dwn

9 -- Conn 3 T3 -- Bl -- Motor 3 L3 -- Motor 4 Feed

10 - Conn 4 R1 -- Bn -- Motor 4 L1 -- Motor 4 Up

11 - Conn 4 S2 -- Bk -- Motor 4 L2 -- Motor 4 Dwn

12 - Conn 4 T3 -- Bl -- Motor 4 L3 -- Motor 4 Feed

13 - Conn 1 E -- Gr/Y - Motor 1 E -- Motor 1 E

14 - Conn 2 E -- Gr/Y - Motor 2 E -- Motor 2 E

15 - Conn 3 E -- Gr/Y - Motor 3 E -- Motor 3 E

16 - Conn 4 E -- Gr/Y - Motor 4 E -- Motor 4 E

17 - Unused

18 - Unused

19 - Unused

Bn - Brown

Bk - Black

Bl - Blue

Gr/Y - Green/Yel

Sorry about the formating, I couldn't figure how to insert a table!! I have the info in an excel spreadsheet if anyone wants a copy emailed to them.

Any comments gratefully received

Steve

Archived