Custard Pies

katw

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stuff we had for Bugsy was like a shaving foam but patted down to nothing but water with a slightly fishy smell.

We got it from a theatrical supplier, can't remember the name but it came in yellow aerosol cans about the size of a coke can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi I'm new here, great forum really helpful for me. I'm stage managing the infamous Bugsy Malone at my school. Im sure you hear this every day but being at a school I am on a tight budget. The production includes a cast of about 90 year 7's (11-12 year olds). The director always goes mad on the things he wants and this time round he wants a very large amounts of custard pies for the shoot out at Fat Sams. I've been able to acquire sponge to make bases out of and have been searching desperately for a recipe to make the "custard". So what im asking has anyone got a recipe for "custard" that can be made in large quantities relatively cheaply, is safe to go into the face/eyes and has to come out of costumes, drapes etc. I've tried smiffys custard pie foam but it doesn't produce much foam and at £2 a can its a bit expensive in the quantities im talking about. If any ones got any ideas at all they would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

John Beer

So what im asking has anyone got a recipe for "custard" that can be made in large quantities relatively cheaply, is safe to go into the face/eyes and has to come out of costumes, drapes etc. I've tried smiffys custard pie foam but it doesn't produce much foam and at £2 a can its a bit expensive in the quantities im talking about.

Hmm, just been there with this years slap-stick scene for panto. Agreed that the stuff in a can is rubbish. In the end we went for meringue made just before each night's show. It seemed to wash out OK except where is went onto the footlights where it cooked quite nicely :D

If you won't be eating the pies, try shaving foam. Let it settle for half an hour or so, then the soap doesn't sting the tallents eyes.

"3.2% of contents by mass are flammable"

Not sure how that translates into real terms, I've never tried to light shaving foam.

Pretty cheap too, you can get 99p stuff from anyold knickknacks shop

Chris

Archived