Screen in my bass drum?

drummerrhys

Hey all

From the start I want to make clear this IS going to happen so all ideas will be thoroughly thought through(just to ensure you I'm not wasting your time and effort) :unsure:

I am taking part in a large performance next week (the one my glow in the dark paint thread was about) and I have had the idea of displaying video/images on the front of the three bass drums (of the kits) that us 3 drummers will be using.

I would like opinions on:

1) Do you think it would be best to cut holes in the front skin an insert a 17 inch LCD into it (If so I will probably need some sort of mounting system)

2) Would I be better off projecting an image onto the front of the bass drum skins (there will be a rather complex light show going on too)

FYI - The front skins are all old ones of mine so no one minds cutting them up/ We have projectors/ 17 inch screens ready and waiting.

Thanks,

Rhys

What exactly is going to be projected? Live video or a powerpoint presentation from a computer?

The other thing that will need to be considered is how to get your cabling in and out of the drum neatly. If it's VGA cabling, this will probably mean a sizeable hole somewhere to get the connectors through...

If you project on to the drum though, the image will wobble massively every time the drum is hit!

Which can look really cool - I very much doubt this is going to be a "This year the company has lost:" style death by power point. Video content, made with this in mind could work really well. (By made with this in mind I simply mean nothing that rippling with ruin to be projected during the songs. Between songs on the other hand anything goes.). The other question is how good of a projection surface is your drum skin? I assume it's not clear?

Don't forget you need to make the projection circular unless you want the rest of the image spilling over the surrounding stage.

Black will be no good, and drum skins are fairly reflective so..

My suggestion is to take off the front skin, and replace it with a matt white skin.

Or, take of the front ring stretch some thin white cloth over it. Replace the ring and tigthen the skin. Then trim around the drum.. thus making a round projector friendly surface. (will dampen the sound lots tho!) Then all you need to do is crop the video to a circle. You could do this by either editing all your videos on an editor and overlay a black shape with a circle in the middle, or you could use a VJ program.. Archaos has a free trial you could use, but don't know what its capable of cropping wise... I'm sure theres lots of options but those are two that come to mind.

A few things to remember is that you need space to put the projector with out your lead singer kicking it over, and that kick drums can move during a gig. so gaffa tape the legs down or somthing!

Archived