Thomann's LED ropelight

Jamtastic3

Hey BR,

I'm replacing some old ropelight in an install because most of it has faded and stopped working. Instead of adding new sections to old I came accross Thomann's LED ropelight:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/rubberlight_rubbe..._1_blue_44m.htm

A few question's about it:

a) It says it's 230V, how is this as I thought you'd need a tranformer to step down the voltage for LED's?

b) From that, will I be able to dim this ropelight from a dimmable source (eg a normal household dimmer). If not, will I need a dimmable transformer?

c) Considering that we aren't exactly 230V in the UK, will the LED's lifetime be shortened dramatically or not work at all?

d) will I be able to cut this ropelight like the standard stuff?

Hope that all makes sence - although sounding noobish to something that's simple in design, I just want to cover my burning hole in my pocket B-)

I think that covers it.

Cheers!!!

Not familiar with Thomanns product directly but of LED rope in general:

A) Wired as number of LEDs in series with resistor every few feet so plugs directly into mains.

B) Dims fine , bit jittery on move because of no thermal lag.

C) LEDs arent exactly all the same voltage either, extra 10V nominal a string shouldn`t make a whole lot of differnce.

D) Probably, but Thomann dont appear to do terminating caps and connecting caps, these can be fairly specific to brand of rope, ones from another brand may not fit without some persuasion.

Lot of George Square, Glasgow Christmas lights have been changed to LED, Clive seems to be happy with longetivity and performance, supplied by Blachere, unliklely to be as low cost as Thomann.....

http://www.blachere-illumination.co.uk

Eek, sounds like dimming could be an issue.

Thanks for that link musht, now I can can see where Edinburgh Council get their Christmas street decor from B-)

Anyone got any other advice about the ropelight?

I need at least 30m of the stuff, in blue, needs to be dimmed and cut but I can't afford to spend hundreds. As cheap as possible is the way for me.

Eek, sounds like dimming could be an issue.

Thanks for that link musht, now I can can see where Edinburgh Council get their Christmas street decor from :(

From Blachere`s budget refurb bin, or mebbe the skip outside :-(

LED rope is a bit of a cr*p shoot, got some econo stuff year or so back, white was and still is pretty good and dims happily, blue from same maker had few Dark Emitting Diodes, DEDs, straight off the reel and infant mortality on others.

Blachere`s construction is noticeably in a different league, cost certainly is, but it is reliable.

Duralite conventional lamp rope isn`t that great in cool colours , but dimmed its lifetime should be pretty good, depends how much of a pain it is to change out lengths.

Duralite conventional lamp rope isn`t that great in cool colours , but dimmed its lifetime should be pretty good, depends how much of a pain it is to change out lengths.

Is the Duralite ropelight any better in quality? I don't mind going back to ropelight, the thing is that the ropelight is exposed in an install and so having old and new sections will be clearly visible. The ropelight in at the moment is from Thomann so I'm guessing it's Eurolite's stuff but if Duralite is any better then I'll go for that.

Cutting LED ropelight to length may be more problematic than the incandescent sort.

Due to the low operating voltage of LEDs, as many as 100 may be wired in series.

Since the spec states that the LEDs are 28mm apart, each series string of them might be about 3M long, which might be restricting.

There might be two series strings connected together in "inverse paralell" of the same dropper resistor, one string to conduct on each half of the mains cycle.

In short I would advise against cutting to length, unless the supplier says you can.

Archived