Our Set Build.... So far

mbthegreat

If you don't mind me saying so - this is exactly what people at school should be doing. Real, practical and obviously decent quality work. This kind of stuff shows people that school and college stuff isn't always rubbish! It takes a lot to get all the teachers to integrate like this.

If you don't mind me saying so - this is exactly what people at school should be doing. Real, practical and obviously decent quality work. This kind of stuff shows people that school and college stuff isn't always rubbish! It takes a lot to get all the teachers to integrate like this.

Exactly.

I think Maths should be you budgeting for the show, English writing letters for the show, Science learning about forces from the roof/on the set etc, electricity for the show etc, Business studies marketing, PE Climbing to focus the rig, lifting properly and unloading truck etc...

Maybe the PE is taking it a bit far, bit I genuinly think if lessons were structured more like this then learning would be more fun, and much less of a chore. At the end of the day, I know GCSE targets spec certain things, but I don't think I have ever re-used the Pi think we did since - or have ever needed to copy paragraphs from a Shakespeare book and 'comment' on the irony or the 'feeling' etc as people do these days.

Also, doing those kinds of themes make it a lot easier for people to understand thing better for 'real life' situations, ie if you write a letter asking for money and can't spell properly your look like a pratt, if you can't add up properly you could f' up the shows budget, or your personal finances, if you don't lift properly your break your back etc etc

watching that made me reasonably jealous that we don't do anything like that. even our design tech.

students would be allowed to create such structures.

I shall watch this topic and I am eager to see the next video's

(including LX&sound stuff later on?)

ohh and would be nice to get a 'talk through' of stuff being done (stage design ect..)

oh and health and safety..

*tie hair up when in the workshop* :D

(all I can remember the teacher shouting in woodwork and seeing that young woman without it made me remember)

*tie hair up when in the workshop*

And take off dangling ties (or tuck them out of the way)! If something that's tied to your neck gets caught in a power tool, you'll potentially be in heap big trouble ...

That notwithstanding, it certainly looks like your school embraces their performing arts in a fairly big way. I wish mine had ....

I noticed the "hair and tie" issue too....at least in the worst example the girl is using a hand saw, not a power tool!

However, count me as another one impressed with the way the production is integrated into other areas of the school--a good practical exercise for all concerned and, from the looks of it, it's going to pay with good results.

Let us know when the next instalment is up!

Bob

Thats awesome if I may say so. How bigs your theatre/hall and what are the specifications for it?? Just out of interest. Could you post the rig design for those of us interested it that :angry:

Looks good and I wish you good luck for your production. I may try doing something like this for out production of JCS at the start of december. Cant start putting up the set up until sunday becuase our production of crucibles going on... :D

Looking forward to further parts :D

Wow guys thanks for the responses. Apart form you William, you know I hate that (hope you can come and see it anyway).

Hadn't thought of filming lx rig or anything like that, might see if I can acquire one of the school's camera and document it though.

If you really want to see it rig plan is here

Great Expectations Plot (145kb PDF)

Christ boy, glad I'm not rigging for you! There's no lantern key, no gel numbers, no board numbers... Did NYT teach you nothing in LX design!?

No good work, looks fab. As I said before...

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

I'm glad to see you've got 2 bugger-ups though (I presume that's what "B/UP" means) <_<

Why is your pros arch at the back of the stage?

Archived