Our Set Build.... So far

mbthegreat

It's a thrust stage, mainly cos it's a school hall (see the video) and otherwise you can't see anything.

There isn't any gel listed because I haven't finalised colour choice yet. And seeing as it's not yet plugged it would be hard to come up with circuit numbers...

...and I don't think we ever actually got taught anything about rig plans at NYT so nuggggggghhhh

I thought (just before I left for italy) Rich was talking about teaching you how to do some basic lighting design, which I was really annoyed about missing, did that never happen? Apart from that though, it's good work.

The production I'm currently doing of Journey's End I didn't get a chance to do a paper version of the plan, partly as I completely ran out of time, and partly because there was very little point in doing it - it's a small hall, few lights, and I was the only person rigging the lights. So it quite happily remained in my head, and works very well in practice! Lots of lovely side lighting, a few specials on the front to simulate candle light, changeing light sources from outside the dugout to simulate times of day (mix of LED pars to do colour and birdies, it's a small set), and very little toplight. Oh, and a faint haze to bring it out nicely <_<

I wish that sort of co-operation had happened in my old school. Instead DT would charge Drama for materials and time, and although what they did produce was built by students, there wasn't much of it because Drama couldnt afford what they were charging them <_<

Then plan looks good by the way, although...are they scrollers on your frontlight? :blink:

I wish that sort of co-operation had happened in my old school. Instead DT would charge Drama for materials and time, and although what they did produce was built by students, there wasn't much of it because Drama couldnt afford what they were charging them <_<

Then plan looks good by the way, although...are they scrollers on your frontlight? :blink:

Yep, welcome to hell...

Unless the scrolls don't consist of dark saturated colours and more a selection of light unsaturated colours (steels lavenders straws etc) which would be suitable for front light.

It would probably be cheaper to put six scrollers in than hang six extra lanterns once you factor in necessary dimming, cabling etc.... unless I'm missing something?! <_<

EDIT: beaten!

But if used for general frontlight, you'll be lighting the sheets and the cast blue, red, green, etc. Like I said if it works in your situation it works - I just thought it was a little odd at first.

In terms of money, I guess it all depends on how much stock and how many dimmers you have spare, whether you have room to hang them, and whether you can get power to them.

(And unless you have nicely ordered scrolls or some clever programming, you might find your sheets go from blue to 'bastard amber' to 'broadway pink' to red <_<)

Archived