cheap chain hoists

ronknights

Hi,Seen lots of cheap chain hoists on ebay like this...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACE-6-Meter-x-1-Ton-Chain-Blocks-Hoist_W0QQitemZ110303553859QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110303553859&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318... wondering if these are acceptable for use in the entertainment world, whether legally or practically? I would use a couple to hoist up a 6m truss weighing approx 200kg, but for safety would hang it on 1 ton strops as well as the chain hoists.Cheers!

A common problem is that there is not enough information to supply a LOLER certificate prior to first use, and after the test period there isn't a supply of parts to effect any repairs or replacements necessary. Also note that these are hand winches.

The above said I've known people use them. One issue is the absence of a chain bag. Far from insoluble but moderately annoying.

Whilst I personally haven't had any cause to buy any winches the guy I know who brought cheap chain hoists, much like those you linked to (I think he paid about £20 for 1 ton WWL, max lift not more than 3 meters) did specifically check were he stood with regard LOLER and was apparently fine.

I use similar items for getting a lighting bar into place, when it's just me in the place; once the load is located, I secure it with a pair of 1-ton rated strops, as you have suggested. I don't personally have any problem with this - I just don't stand directly under the load while lifting it, and keep everyone else away. (N.B. This is not to say that I recommend this practice, which may well be technically fracturing the LOLAR regs as the chain hoist isn't properly tested and certificated - however, this is only during the lifting process, it's legal once the strops are secured!)

LOLER- Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations. So using a hoist that does not conform to the prescribed regulations and hasn't been tested, alongside lifting accessories that haven't been tested, is falling foul of the regulations.

Could it possibly be argued that once the item is installed on a slings, it could effectively be classed as installed, therefore no longer under LOLER?

(N.B. This is not to say that I recommend this practice, which may well be technically fracturing the LOLAR regs as the chain hoist isn't properly tested and certificated - however, this is only during the lifting process, it's legal once the strops are secured!)

if you would not recommend a practise then why offer it up???

The Ace chain hoists here are clearly marked with a CE stamp, so would conform to regulations, provided they are inspected and tested regularly and that process is documented then they will comply with LOLER. They are simply a cheap Chinese import manual chain hoist, I see no reason they would be any less safe than any other, provided they are maintained, inspected and tested regularly. Alternatively you could just buy new regularly, probably cheaper than paying to have them inspected and tested unless you can do it yourself.

if you would not recommend a practise then why offer it up???

Because I am prepared to take responsibility for my own actions, but not those of other people who may choose to copy me. If someone chooses to do what the OP originally suggested, and which I said I also do, then it's up to them - but don't go blaming me if you try it and it doesn't work out for you - apart from anything else, you'd almost certainly be using a different brand of equipment and under different circumstances.

"(N.B. This is not to say that I recommend this practice, which may well be technically fracturing the LOLAR regs as the chain hoist isn't properly tested and certificated - however, this is only during the lifting process, it's legal once the strops are secured"

sorry but you can not recommend a practise that is only half legal - that is irresponcible in my book. All of the lifting operation has to be safe and legal. Using hoists that are not LOLER (not LOAR !!) compliant is breaking the law and by default so are you by knowingly using such items. The fact that you add a couple of rated secondary suspensions is neither here nor there unless you dead hang the load and remove the hoists but the hoists are still non LOLER compliant. The lifting part of any operation is the most dangerous and sods law dictates that this is where the accidents will happen. If you injure some one while lifting a load with unrated hoists then you will be found liable and your off for a long stay curtasy of Her Majesty

Many BR users post on here looking for advice on various topics. Even if you were to add disclaimers in your advice you cannot guarentee what the OP will do with said advise. Personally I would be mortified if any advice I gave (disclaimered or not) resulted in accident or injury.

sorry for the rant

TM

....I see no reason they would be any less safe than any other, provided they are maintained, inspected and tested regularly. Alternatively you could just buy new regularly, probably cheaper than paying to have them inspected and tested unless you can do it yourself.

But you must have a cert before you use it and I very much doubt it comes with a cert. To do so it would need to be certed before it was sold and in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...

The supplier has to comply with the Supply of Machinery (Safety) Regs 1992 as amended - recently amended again (2008) but not in force until 31.12.09. I'm still wading through the new regs to see what's changed.

The employer of the people using the hoist has to comply with LOLER (amongst other things) and get the hoist inspected prior to first use, although the original certificate of conformity is valid as a 'test cert' for one year from date of supply unless used to lift people (6 months). LOLER is risk based so you could draw up an inspection schedule to suit your own requirements but it must be written and formally drawn up by a competent person.

So as an employer or self employed person you could buy the cheap job and get it inspected and certified by your competent person, provided it has a CE mark and a certificate of conformity. It shouldn't have one without the other.

Once the hoist is put into use for lifting it must have a current report of inspection declaring the item safe to use and other details as specified in LOLER which include a marked SWL.

LOLER also requires lifts to be planned and carried out safely with adequate supervision. It's not just about the kit.

To operate uninspected lifting tackle is an offence as has been pointed out and morally questionable. If you are genuinely competent to inspect (and LOLER makes mention of this) then do so and issue your own reports of inspection/test certs. You should check your insurance covers this activity.

HTH

Archived