Promotional Movie

jmaudio

Hi, first post but I've been lurking for a while now.

It's the time just before I go back to school where I'm starting to think about my projects for the coming term. And thought that you could offer some ideas for one of them.

Basically my drama teacher has been talking to the senior staff about getting some new lights for the hall/stage. Currently the way things are organized in our school the drama dept. own all the lights in the school, both those in the hall and in the two drama studios. However the drama dept. don't have enough lights to fill the two studios and the hall. so when a production goes on in the hall, either drama or a music event, people have spend time taking them from one place and hanging them in another.

So basically what my drama teacher wants me and my mate to do is put together a small film maybe 2-4 mins long to show the people with the cash (who have no clue about lights at all) what advantages having a new set of lights, and possibly dimmers, in the hall would be.

So I don't want what lists of what lights to get, gel colours and dimmer recommendations. (I may be asking for that later) Just situations where lights could be used, and how they can be used effectively for enhancing performances/assembly's.

Also if anyone has any pictures we could add to the movie that they don't mind us using, that would be great.

Thanks

Jamie.

Sorry, but unless I have misunderstood you, your drama teacher has asked you and your mate to make a short film to demonstrate what the advantages of more lights would be. However, if your drama teacher doesn't know and you don't know what the advantages would be, surely there won't be any advantages as you would have already have thought of them without having to ask on an online forum.

The only advantage you seem to have listed is the one about not having to move the lights for every event. How many lights would you normally have to move? Do you even need to move all of the lights for the event or can the performance be lit without all of them being moved?

On a slightly different note, would it be possible to demonstrate in person any advantages to 'the people with the cash' in person, rather then via a film, so that you would be able to answer any questions you have?

I'm not too sure if this was the responce you were looking for but...

I'm not too sure if this was the responce you were looking for but...

Personally it strikes me as an interesting and worthwhile project that has a definite desired outcome and would encourage and build skills applicable to a professional career...

Something with a "Time Lapse" feel of taking a pile of lights down, then slow to normal to show how big a pile, speed up again showing how many trips from studio to hall, and again at speed re-rigging. Especially if you have to use ladders. The WAH Directive more or less says that if it is possible/reasonable that working at height should be eliminated.

In my opinion you certainly don't slate what you already have because who ever is going to provide funding doesn't want to see that you are ungreatful. If they feel you may not appreciate only half the required, which could still be useful, they won't give you anything.

Make sure you first round up the situation saying how you can have adequate lighting, then go onto say about the general convenience and opportunities it would offer to have fixed equipment installed, just keep punching home the point that it benefits everyone, maybe the media department would benefit perhaps if they had good lighting to film sets in the hall; or maybe staff could use it as a neat looking conference/meeting facility.

If the people with money to spend see that what they are spending is flexible and usable across many subjects, they will see it as better value for money and a better prospect for the hall, not just the drama department moaning that they have to move lots of lights once in a while!

thats my suggestion, if use that kind of tactic I see no reason why the people with the cash would say instantly "NO"

Dave

If the people with money to spend see that what they are spending is flexible and usable across many subjects, they will see it as better value for money and a better prospect for the hall, not just the drama department moaning that they have to move lots of lights once in a while!

thats my suggestion, if use that kind of tactic I see no reason why the people with the cash would say instantly "NO"

Dave

Thats what I was thinking, we are an ICT and Maths school and so perhaps new lights could fall under the TECHNOLOGY in ICT.

We are also a community school, so the hall gets used alot out of school hours and perhaps a few new lights could be used for some of these events.

RE. Doing a demonstration. Getting the whole senior leaderships to attend a demonstration on something they have little or no interest in maybe impossible and counter-productive. So we thought doing dragons den style pitch to the Senior staff, I'm thinking we could do both, stand up and present a Keynote presentation and include the video in this.

I love the timelapse idea and thats nice and easy to do since there is going to be a gig in the hall and a production in the drama studios thats going to require the lights to be moved.

Thanks so far and keep the ideas coming!

Jamie

glad the advice helps.

Talking would be the better way to do it overall, another way to add on to the chance of them saying yes. If they can ask questions and see how the existing structure has influenced your learning positively. Maybe if you speak to people from other departments and get them to come along to talk with you to the people with the cash. If you make it sound like your enthusiastic and teachers are enthusiastic about it and display how useful it would be.

But looking at your problem again I would deifnetly not mention the moving of lights every once in a while. It may be a pain to you and others but their not going to care for inconvenience, they just want to see a product that works and that there money will be well spent, not sympathy for back-pain!

would like to hear what the end result is sometime plz

dave

The WAH Directive more or less says that if it is possible/reasonable that working at height should be eliminated.

I think Andrew has made the point that is most likely to persuade the Senior staff. If there is somthing that can be done to save money and paperwork they are probably going to go for it. Just keep stressing the point about the WAH Directive.

Josh

Guest lightnix

Hello jmaudio - welcome to the Blue Room ;)

...show the people with the cash (who have no clue about lights at all) what advantages having a new set of lights...

A tip: Think FAB...

Features

Advantages

Benefits

You'll certainly need to explain the features and advantages of having new kit, but what you have to sell is the benefits - because that's what people buy.

People don't buy things, they buy the things that they do - the benefits. For example: When someone buys a new cooker, they're not really buying a cooker - they're actually buying better meals :blink:

What you have to demonstrate to the people with the money, is what this new kit is going to do for the school and the people who use it - i.e. how they will benefit from having it. 60% of the film should deal with this.

So, quickly...

Features:

New equipment to supplement existing rig

Some lights

Some dimmers

Advantages:

Less time needed for...

a) Repetitive tasks, like lugging equipment to and fro'

b) High risk activities, like Working At Height

c) Rigging the lighting

d) Supervision by staff

More time available to...

a) Concentrate on lighting productions

b) Experiment with ideas and therefore learn more

c) Rehearse the performers

d) Teach students

Up to date equipment is closer to what professional theatres are use in the "real" world.

Benefits:

Improved Health & Safety

Better rehearsed productions

Better looking productions, assemblies, etc

The ability to mount more productions of greater variety (perhaps)

Improved education - More time for teachers to teach and for students to learn

etc...

That's not an exhaustive list, but I hope it helps - please feel free to add to it (especially the benefits :huh: )

Come to this thread a little late, and to be honest most of what needed to be said has been said.

I'd applaud you (and your drama teacher) for the idea and say go for it.

This is precisely the sort of thing that can easily demonstrate why the investment is worthwhile and can utilise a number of educational opportunities (film making, presentation, etc) as well as the drama side which oftenm helps.

One minor point, assuming you have some video editing facilities available - use appropriate captions to get across specific information, unless you have a REALLY good student who can speak and enunciate well. A presentation of this sort can be spoiled by having Joe Bloggs talk over the film with no real diction skills! :D

But if you DO use voice-over, write a script.

Another point to stress might be the longer lamp life that should result from less moving of lanterns from place to place.

I have heard of places that will spend thousands on equipment, but struggle to find hundreds for replacement lamps.

There should also be a slight enhancement to electrical safety standards. The less a lantern is re-located, then in general the less risk of failure/damage which could be dangerous. Whilst there should of course be an inspection and testing regime to find and rectify, damage and faults, it would be preferable for the faults not to occur in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Im The guy in charge of lights at the school, like Jamie said were a community school and it gets used by a lot of people

e.g We have a church coming in every sunday

When we have events me and jamie have to bring our own lanterns in. Which means we end up paying for new lamps.

Cheers

Jack

Archived