Your Own Equipment

cookson123

is it me or is this topic just completely pointless?

yes we all have different equipment, some more than others, but does it really matter?? At the end of the day this is just another 'mines better than yours' gloating topic.

I have all the kit I need to provide sound and lighting for many different events, I too have a great hire company to get equipment from... amazing isn't it!?! Infact I have three!

so what?.... seriously... so bl**dy what?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lightnix
is it me or is this topic just completely pointless?

No, it's not just you :)

BTW: Real professionals don't boast about how much equipment they have, but how much less than everyone else they paid for it ;)

I have Pat testing covered by my School in exchange for use of My kit.

I havn't got insurance but I do have written T&C's (ish) that state The Hirer is responsable for insurance for the kit once it leaves my care.

Josh

so the PAT testing isn't in your name? As the holder of the equipment?

and with the insurance, its all well and done making sure they know your 'T&C's(ish)' but what happens when the church elder gets a shock off of one of your mic's and pops her clogs? it'll come back to you, its your kit. these things are unlikely, but if it does your in the dunny.

(see, I was good, I didnt swear! :) )

I think Rob is OFFERING you a drink!

oh... erm, well if your offering, make it a pint.

soo err.... I'll see you at the bar at plasa then Rob?

hehe

Interesting topic :)

I'm 19 and not going to list my kit, but I have a few things.

People seem more interested in this:

I started out running rock concerts about 4 years ago. I made a bit of money, but it was very hard to get hold of PA systems for no money. I took a loan out from my parents and bought a basic one. People started wanting to borrow it off me and it grew from there. Slowly built up equipment and paid for my second PA (bit nicer...) purely from profit from hiring out the first one. So I managed to afford all my stuff from a £1000 loan which got paid back within a year - this includes a turbo PA and a proper outboard rack (eg XTA GQ600). (Sneaky plug - admin delete if not allowed - I'm around Bucks and surrounding area with this kit...)

I am now a self employed student trying to run a hire company in my spare time. Still running it at break even to get more kit and contacts etc before I try and go pro. Even quoting on a couple of decent sized installs.

So no lottery win, just patience, slight risk taking and hard work have gone ok so far, will just have to see what happens when I try to go full time or similar.

Chris

Guest lightnix
I have Pat testing covered by my School in exchange for use of My kit.

I havn't got insurance but I do have written T&C's (ish) that state The Hirer is responsable for insurance for the kit once it leaves my care.

Thank you for your honesty :)

One thing: Insuring the kit is different from Public Liability Insurance (PLI) - PLI is what you should have to cover yourself, in the event that the unthinkable happens and somebody is injured (or worse) by your kit.

Unless you are 18, PLI is going to be nigh on impossible for you to find. You'll need to talk to an insurance broker for concrete advice, but the "Usual Suspects" mentioned in every other BR PLI thread should at least be able to offer that. They may just even be able to suggest some kind of solution - but it would probably involve one of your parents being registered as the actual Owner (and Holder and Hirer) of the equipment and the one having to answer all those awkward questions if anything went wrong.

It's good to know that the kit is at least being inspected; but as chappy pointed out: the PAT test certificate is pretty useless to you without your name on it.

Unless you are 18, PLI is going to be nigh on impossible for you to find. You'll need to talk to an insurance broker for concrete advice, but the "Usual Suspects" mentioned in every other BR PLI thread should at least be able to offer that. They may just even be able to suggest some kind of solution - but it would probably involve one of your parents being registered as the actual Owner (and Holder and Hirer) of the equipment and the one having to answer all those awkward questions if anything went wrong.

you can get PLI from 'liability guard' if your 16.

I managed to get PLI at 16 as the named one on the contract, aswell as insuring all my equipment. Musicguard are the one's who sorted it out, although you may want to check out all the small print as they have changed owners fairly recently and the minimum age may have been increase. I've never had an issue with needing to rely on my PLI, but that's not the point. It's the necessity to have it incase something does go wrong.

EDIT: Chappy beat me to it. All the insurance company's ending in -guard are all sub-companys from the same main broker.

you all have too much money at your disposal if you have afforded all the equipment, to the guy above who used patience a bit of his parents money, good for you mate, congrats I hope it all works Ok for you, I am 20 yrs old, and I am buying the most important pieces of equipment I think I will use for a while. my first decent tool kit. doing a fit up at work, only one quad spanner around, yeah, I need some tools. so am putting in a flints order in a day or so.

got a small pa rig, does for a bit of cheap monitorage.

And I have a decent computer for editing purposes

I don't understand how people can afford that amount of kit. unless their parents are rich and want to give their kids something to play with, or they have been in the right place at the right time. and I know at least one previous poster in this thread who is the first of those two.

One thing: Insuring the kit is different from Public Liability Insurance (PLI) - PLI is what you should have to cover yourself, in the event that the unthinkable happens and somebody is injured (or worse) by your kit.

It's good to know that the kit is at least being inspected; but as chappy pointed out: the PAT test certificate is pretty useless to you without your name on it.

I will be having a look into all of the insurance aspect now I am nearing 16 and back from soul survivor. I had a feeling PLI and Kit insurance was different but I wasn't sure. I am probable going to look for as mentioned by Livenoise earlier on in the Thread.

I am currently more concerned with making sure my kit is safe more than having the certs but I do realise that having all the Paperwork in my name would be a great benefit.

Thanks for all of the great advice lightnix.

Josh

So, Josh, do you have PLI, in case any work you carried out at Soul Survivor had problems? Or are you going to get it now, for future work?

I am very worried here. I work don't know any of the companies involved with SS, but know a lot of other festivals which are covered by young people. These people do hang lamps, moving lights, move boxes etc. The problem here is that whilst the work you will be doing will be watched carefully (I hope) theres still absolutely nothing stopping you accidentally loosing control of a heavy box and putting someone out of work for a long time. If you were to do this, with no insurance, I wonder how this person would go about getting compensation for being out of work....?

The fact your kit is safe isn't really a big deal here, if your going out on a job and installing it yourself, without insurance, your doing as good as making it unsafe.

Archived