Invoicing Software

dentos

What do y'all use for writing your invoices?

I've mostly done mine in Microsoft Word, although Excel might be better as it takes care of the maths part

There are many invoicing software packages available, but most of them are aimed at business providing products rather than services, I haven't found any suitable for a freelance sound technician.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Here is how my invoices look at the moment, I like the way they look... I just want to speed up the process, have a bit more organisation and let the software do the maths for me.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/7434/invoicepretendqo0.jpg

Hi Dentos

You might find this thread about software, and this thread about small print an interesting read.

I don't put National Insurance number on my invoices, what is the reasoning behind you doing this? I would also leave a space for customer reference number, such as a purchase order. It can help them with the filing

Personally I use Invoice2go to write my invoices.

Frazer

Cool thanks for both of those, Zoho may not really be an option as I'm not always near the internet when I write my invoices- I like to do them on my laptop on the train or other 'down time'.

Invoice2go looks really good... but I'm still stuck with the bloody "ship to" etc fields, I just found out I can go into the 'design view' and delete them, is there a way of saving the design so I don't have to do this every time?

EDIT: I've worked it out, yes this really seems to be the best package I've tried so far, many thanks!

What I need to try work out now is different invoice numberings, I've already been doing this - so for 'Bob's Awesome Audio' my invoices would BAA001 BAA002 etc, for 'Daves Dodgy Discos' numbers would be DDD001, DDD0002 etc, any ideas on how to do this?

The reasoning behind the NI number is the first invoices I ever had to write, I was told by the company to include this, I assume this is not a usual practice then?

I shall have a proper read of those threads thanks, I didn't realise there were existing ones or I wouldn't have started this one!

Cheers

Tom

If you're used to Word and Excel why not give the free version of M1cro$oft Office Accounting a go.

Linky

I've started playing with it and it ain't half bad.

Though it does look like MS has just taken the best bits from Sage line 50 and made they're own product....nothing new there then.

Regards

Steve.

Edit: Changed link for UK version

Hi,

I use rental Desk. Its £200 but worth it! http://www.navigator.co.uk/rentaldeskmain.htm

You can do invoices and quotes on it you can also print off prep sheets delivery note etc it will also do things like work out the insurance value

it manages everything and the software is designed for the sound and lighting industry!

HTH

Jordan

What I need to try work out now is different invoice numberings, I've already been doing this - so for 'Bob's Awesome Audio' my invoices would BAA001 BAA002 etc, for 'Daves Dodgy Discos' numbers would be DDD001, DDD0002 etc, any ideas on how to do this?

Invoice2go does not allow you to alter invoice numbers in the way you are used to. This is because the software uses the unique consecutive numbers for sorting. I used to number my invoices in the same way as you before switching to Invoice2go, but I quickly got used to the new way.

Frazer

Re: National Insurance Number. There's no reason for this to be on the invoice at all. Some firms may ask for it, but to be honest, asking for it implies they are not treating you as a contracted freelancer, but as an employee. It's also a very important number and you don't really want it sitting around on an invoice for ever, or even eventually in a skip somewhere.

What's the idea with the different pre-fix letters? Do you mean that you change the prefix to indicate your different customers, or do you issue invoices in two different names?

Re: National Insurance Number. There's no reason for this to be on the invoice at all. Some firms may ask for it, but to be honest, asking for it implies they are not treating you as a contracted freelancer, but as an employee. It's also a very important number and you don't really want it sitting around on an invoice for ever, or even eventually in a skip somewhere.

I would disagree with that statement. I only really work for one company, but the others I work for do insist on seeing my Tax Number and NI.

What they do with this information I don't know, I am guessing use it as proof of self-employment - I doubt the make the calls, as I am sure with the numbers its proof for them. If your not an LTD company, then some companies (especially in TV) will take your tax at source, even though you are all registered as self-employed - its part of their policy. Although being self employed, I get P60s from Lee and Arri, because when not on tour, I do a lot of sparky work for them - but I am still self-employed, and currently get my tax taken at source :D

I use rental Desk. Its £200 but worth it! http://www.navigator.co.uk/rentaldeskmain.htm<snip>
I know someone who uses Rental Desk. From the expoure I have had to it (which is rather limited), I would recommend it.

I find it very easy to use, and easy to update stock on (which is what I use it for). The invoices it prints look professional too, and the ability to easily print prep sheets is a bonus.

I would disagree with that statement. I only really work for one company, but the others I work for do insist on seeing my Tax Number and NI.

I assume you mean your UTR, not your NI Number? The NI number proves nothing other than your over 16 and on the UK tax system. It's the UTR that will identify you as Self Employed IIRC. Also if you only really work for one company, then I think the HMRC would class that as employed, and therefore tax should be deducted at source.

[/tin of worms...]

And to drag it back on topic.... As for us? Sage Small Business. About £380 for Sage Instant Accounts, Instant Payroll, and ACT!50. Stock and jobs will be managed on Easyjob in the very near future.

What's the idea with the different pre-fix letters? Do you mean that you change the prefix to indicate your different customers, or do you issue invoices in two different names?

It's some thing I do as well: Prefix the invoice number with a short code indicating the client. This has 2 goals: It makes things easy for me sorting invoices - I can tell from the number who it's for. It also means one client can't tell how much work you've done for other clients inbetween times, which isn't with out merit.

To be honest though I mostly use it because it was recomended to me by a "finance type" when I first started out as self employed and the habit has stuck.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi..

Look at www.quick-invoice.com

Sells for $US49.00

VERY EASY to set up and use, easy to customize, includes invoice, quotes, credits.

Free trial version.

I feel it is easier than the other versions mentioned IMHO.

Cheers

Steve

Guest lightnix
The NI number proves nothing other than your over 16 and on the UK tax system.

Yes, but it also allows anyone who has it to gain access to your personal details and can be used in some situations to confirm your ID - in fact, it's probably the closest thing we have to an ID card in this country.

NI numbers are also used for security checks - I had to give mine once, when I was working on the old Royal Tournament one year, for that very reason.

Back on topic: I use Excel for my remaining personal stuff.

Archived