Formal Clothing

uniman1

Does anyone know if technical staff have to wear DJ/Suit onboard Cunard ships for formal nights? I have been offered Sound position, but it has been rather a rush job - one week between job offer and flying out to join ship. The info I have been given on uniform has all been generic for hotel staff, and have had very little guidance from office. I previously worked for RCCI, where we had to wear DJ for formal nights and lounge suit if eating in ala carte ship restaurant - birthdays and stuff usually. I will bring me own, but if I don't need to, I would rather not.

Also other experience with their ships would be appreciated

I find (on RCCL) that as far as technical staff go, it is largely dependent on the Cruise Director and Hotel Director. ie with one CD, if I am operating a show on formal nights, I am not expected to wear a penguin suit - however I have to wear one if I am in "passenger areas" - ie I have to be in my booth before doors or I have to wear a tux.

Another CD has asked that I wear a dinner jacket when operating on formal nights.

Another CD asked that I wear a black button up shirt and a tie whilst opping on formal nights.

Generally though, black polo and black pants for the rest of the time.

So picking up this thread and throwing it out a little wider - what do the girls wear?

I am interested in what cruise teching is like and if you have to wear DJ and so on, then what is the female version I would have to wear?

(oh no don't you dare say it's a ballgown... do they make steels with heels!)

eldar :o

Well, I didn't know any female technicians but the other women on the crew who weren't uniformed did indeed wear dresses - although maybe a little more in the "nice dress" area than a full-blown ballgown.

You wouldn't need to do anything that required steels and formal wear at the same time...if you were onstage then you'd just be in regular blacks. Only the operators (who could be seen by the public) wore formal attire, and we certainly weren't lifting and shifting anything...there are other people who do that!

No experience of cruise ships, but I'd thought it'd be something similar to female tech's working at formal dinners, corporate events, etc, (you get the gist') on dry land... Trouser suit with a smart top. Close enough to the male equivalent of a tux/suit.

Remember a off hand remark to a female soundie at a dressy up type event only last month, something along the lines of: 'oh.. not going to wear a dress then..' she replied: 'well no, I'd look too much like a guest wouldn't I'. Seems a fairly valid reason/comment to me!

Could be wrong.. just going on what I've seen before.

T

Archived