The ultimate summer job...

indyld

I seem to be totally wrong regarding my Fineline comment. Sorry.

Josh, I think its great for you, from what I have heard it stayed fairly dry, so I am sure it was great for you, well done. That said, if it had of been bad, like it was in 2005, then perhaps you wouldn't like it so much - hence my comment about the corporate events. Regarding the corporate events, there is a company who have a temporary install over a month in the summer and winter, the venue is large, and the rig has some 100-odd moving lights, 120-odd generics, LED bits all controlled off a GrandMA...out of that and Glastonbury 2005 I know which I would want to do!

Also, I think regarding the tea boy statement. Its important to build people up. All be it that you have to start somewhere, I think that if someone 16 or 17 joins a company, they should be taught the basics, such as wiring plugs, soldering, truck loading, theory behind how it all goes together etc. Then once that has been taught its time to move to the next level. I seriously think that using someone new or young as the tea boy is plainly wrong. Yes, the warehouse does need to be swept, but it doesn't hurt anyone to do that! It is nice to ask around if you are making a cup of tea or coffee, BUT theres nothing stopping anyone else from making it too.

I seriously think that using someone new or young as the tea boy is plainly wrong

Sorry but Part of being a good craftsman of any discipline is to know what your fellow workers drink,so when its your turn to make a brew you don't have to search around asking everybody.As the new boy he needs to learn this information. However in the bar afterwards a good boss will always buy the new boy his first beer or 2

Well Josh , I think you had a brilliant opportunity there. Good luck to you and may you get more work from it - im sure you will. You sound like a decent guy and not stuck up your own a""" and thinking your the next Patrick Woodroffe after doing a couple of gigs in college!! He he.

I watched the final show on sunday. Nice rig . I liked the big mirrorballs ether side in the wings. Very effective coming on in bursts on the cyc. My only complaint to Mr LD for Groove Amarder (spelling) was his constant finger on the strobe fader!! Slight over-kill I thought - after my retinas were on the point of burning out!! Great first look with the lasers. Fantastic on the music!! Only got ruined by the constant strobing again!!

Ahh well

Next year id like to see neon or UV angel fish "swimming" around!! Think that would be quite fun!! Not on video though. 3D ones!! <_<

An ideal job for any school leaver is going to work for Ultimate experience at one of their summer venues. Its dry, mud free and you will have a decent amount of kit to play with.

out of that and Glastonbury 2005 I know which I would want to do!

Hahahaha... ROFL!

oh wait, you're serious?

Regarding the corporate events, there is a company who have a temporary install over a month in the summer and winter, the venue is large, and the rig has some 100-odd moving lights, 120-odd generics, LED bits all controlled off a GrandMA...

Yawn. :P Been there, done that. Factor in a solid month in the same dull location with endless streams of boring, tuxedoed guests none of whom will come close to some of the characters you'll meet at Glasto, not to mention the friendships you'll make sitting around your tents talking utter nonsense at 5am. Sorry to go a bit hippy on you but there is still, despite what some people will tell you about the 'changes' since Melvin Benn got involved, something special about the Glastonbury experience. Which is why there is a queue of people and companies waiting to do it cheaper or for free, for the perceived prestige of putting it on their website but also for the good times.

Back to the original line of this discussion though - for someone to come into lighting and see how it works a trip to pilton can only be beneficial, you might not have the perceived glamour of the main stages but for real experience and meeting some great people its great.. I know many lampies who have had the glastonbury experience as part of the apprenticeship and I don't think it did any long term damage (mostly).

Exactly.

I hope you had as good a time as I did Josh.

I seriously think that using someone new or young as the tea boy is plainly wrong

Sorry but Part of being a good craftsman of any discipline is to know what your fellow workers drink,so when its your turn to make a brew you don't have to search around asking everybody.As the new boy he needs to learn this information. However in the bar afterwards a good boss will always buy the new boy his first beer or 2

I agree with that statement. The I work with people in all sorts of positions who will make the tea etc. I am also of the opinion that if you are making one then its polite to ask around, but my actual point was initially you said something along the lines of "let them know they have a new tea boy", which to me I felt was highly patronising. However, put in perspective, then it hurts nobody, from MD to new boy to make the tea.

Boac, I know that generally the corporate industry is boring, but I used 2005 as an example. To be honest, I wished I hadn't turned Glasto 2008 down!! 2008 was a good year by all reports, and for those kind of seasons I love Glastonbury, but for the last 8 years or however long I have done it previous to 2008, it wasn't a nice place to be, purely because of the conditions. Boac, your profile gives no information on who you are, are you based around one of the main stages, or elsewhere?

You sound like a decent guy and not stuck up your own a""" and thinking your the next Patrick Woodroffe after doing a couple of gigs in college!! He he.
Lxbydesign, how many times have you worked with Patrick, and where?? I am guessing you meant to create a division between the up your own arse and Patrick Woodroffe statement, or do you think Patrick is stuck up his own arse? Not wanting to start an argument here, but I have known Patrick since the mid '90s and my perception of him would be to go as far as saying he is one of the nicest guys I have ever had the pleasure of working with, on a personal front. I make no apologies for calling him a ###### for making it hard to put his designs together, but it works it looks good in the end.

"You sound like a decent guy and not stuck up your own a""" and thinking your the next Patrick Woodroffe after doing a couple of gigs in college!! He he."

JDP, I read this comment to mean that Patrick Woodroffe is a very skilled and experienced tradesman and certainly gave respect to Patrick. I think he meant that dont run before you can walk etc, just because youve done a few gigs successfully, theres still more to learn and people who know alot more than yourself etc

I agree with that statement. The I work with people in all sorts of positions who will make the tea etc. I am also of the opinion that if you are making one then its polite to ask around, but my actual point was initially you said something along the lines of "let them know they have a new tea boy", which to me I felt was highly patronising. However, put in perspective, then it hurts nobody, from MD to new boy to make the tea.

Boac, I know that generally the corporate industry is boring, but I used 2005 as an example. To be honest, I wished I hadn't turned Glasto 2008 down!! 2008 was a good year by all reports, and for those kind of seasons I love Glastonbury, but for the last 8 years or however long I have done it previous to 2008, it wasn't a nice place to be, purely because of the conditions. Boac, your profile gives no information on who you are, are you based around one of the main stages, or elsewhere?

You sound like a decent guy and not stuck up your own a""" and thinking your the next Patrick Woodroffe after doing a couple of gigs in college!! He he.
Lxbydesign, how many times have you worked with Patrick, and where?? I am guessing you meant to create a division between the up your own arse and Patrick Woodroffe statement, or do you think Patrick is stuck up his own arse? Not wanting to start an argument here, but I have known Patrick since the mid '90s and my perception of him would be to go as far as saying he is one of the nicest guys I have ever had the pleasure of working with, on a personal front. I make no apologies for calling him a ###### for making it hard to put his designs together, but it works it looks good in the end.

No I dont know Patrick - but I would like too because, yes , I have total repect for the work he does and I would give anything to work with him on a gig. My reply meant that if a student does a little design in a college and thinks he's then a top notch LD - like Patrick actually is!!. Wow , I need to be careful the way I say things!! or it gets twisted or meant wrongly. Hope thats clears it up!!

No worries, I kind of knew what you meant, I as having a little joke as well ;)

I have known Patrick for around 12 years, and I am sure he would share this topic with the same humor :)

Right, Josh and I managed to get our diaries to line up.

In the follow up article, we get to find out exactly what the intrepid school leaver got up to. Did he make the tea or end up dueting with Jay Z? :o

Anyway...

Glastonbury 2008 - The Tea Boy Returns

I am sure that Josh will stop by the Blue Room if you have any questions.

Best Wishes

I think it proves that if you have the right attitude, and are prepared to start at the bottom, then people will generally recognise that. Then will then give you the respect that your entitled to, and trust you with bigger things.

However if you come in as 'The Big LD' you'll not get far.

Archived